How does storage expansion work in Acer One?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jccguays, Aug 15, 2008.

1. jccguays

jccguays

Hi,

Yesterday I bought a normal SD card to have more space to storage things, but I have a little problem. How does it work?

I downloaded a programm and it's inside "Downloads", but I don't know how to know where: in the SSD or in the SD card. Can I see two hardisk or only one?

Regards.

jccguays, Aug 15, 2008
  2. jccguays

Sid

The SD card is placed in the left slot, the additional space is added to the main drive (SSD).

You will see one drive, just bigger.

The downloads folder is as you say, where the download will be, on the single bigger drive.

Clear as mud huh?

Sid, Aug 15, 2008
  3. jccguays

jccguays

Hi Sid, thanks for the answer.

But, I think I have not been very clear with my question. An example

I download a file and I put in Music. I change the SD card for another and the file dissapears. So, is there any way to keep the file only in the SSD and use the SD card only sometimes?

Thanks for your patience.

Regards

PS I have opened a terminal window and if I look for inside Music directory, I only see files I have download before to have my SD card. So I suppose there's a way to move files from the SSD to the SD card and viceversa.

jccguays, Aug 15, 2008
  4. jccguays

jccguays

Hi, I found it.

If you have a SD card in the left space, all you have inside is in the directory media/disk/

Thanks for all

I'm sorry, but I'm a newbie with Linux

jccguays, Aug 15, 2008
  5. jccguays

Sid

Let's be clear on this, if you want to expand the internal disk space, keep the SD card in the left slot - DO NOT REMOVE IT until you want to upgrade the amount of storage.

Sid, Aug 15, 2008
  6. jccguays

ryback

Do you know how the upgrading process works? Do you just take out the old card, put the new and bigger one in, insert the the old card into the right slot and copy data over?

ryback, Aug 15, 2008
  7. jccguays

Sid

Upgrading

Linpus should be running.
    The new card should be bigger than the one already in the left slot, if not why are you doing this?

First you remove the card in the left slot, you will be asked if you are upgrading, click yes.
    you are then told to put the old card in the right hand slot (5 in 1 slot) , with the new (bigger) card into the left hand slot.
    Click OK to continue
    Lots of copying happens.
    Then you can eject the card from the right slot.

Sid, Aug 15, 2008
  8. jccguays

lunareffect

Wow, I came here specifically to ask this question and here it is on page one. You guys rock! :cool:

lunareffect, Aug 15, 2008
  9. jccguays

Sid

Even I learn things after over two weeks using the One :)
    Glad you got what you needed.

Sid, Aug 15, 2008
  10. jccguays

wetsummer

I am a real newbie too (just had the little wonder for 5 days). I am learning a lot while reading this forum.

Here is a stupid question. Can I use a Sandisk 8Gb SDHC card to increase storage space or should I stick with an SD card with max 2 Gb ?

wetsummer, Aug 19, 2008
  11. jccguays

Mark83

you can even use 16GB if you want

Mark83, Aug 19, 2008
  12. jccguays

kompute

Has anybody tried a 32gig yet?

kompute, Aug 24, 2008
  13. jccguays

jdeisenberg

Is the storage expansion a function of the hardware only or does it require Linpus in order to work? I was thinking of buying an 8GB AA1 and installing Mandriva instead of Linpus, but if the storage expansion won't work with it, then I'll wait until the 120GB hard disk version becomes available.

jdeisenberg, Aug 25, 2008
  14. jccguays

mallard

From a cursory examination of my AA1, it appears that the storage expansion works like this:

The normal Linux home directory is at: /home/user
    The SD card is mounted at: /media/(something)
    Then, something I don't fully understand goes on and the two filesystems are combined at: /mnt/home

When you save something to /mnt/home/whatever, something (probably an "overlay" driver), makes a decision about where to save it (probably SD card unless full), but if you want to put a file specifically on the SSD, you can save to /home/user/whatever and to put it on the SD card, /media/(something)/whatever

Anybody know any more than I do? Corrections?

mallard, Aug 26, 2008
  15. jccguays

qasar.es

The magic is done by AuFS. See http://aufs.sourceforge.net/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AuFS.

AuFS has several writing policies specifying where to write when, in the set of united branches, there are more than one writable branch. One of the policies is create=mfs, which means that the new files are written (created) in the writable branch with more free space (mfs).

qasar.es, Aug 26, 2008
  16. jccguays

jackluo923

It says in wikipedia that it only works for linux. Does this mean it won't work in windows xp or windows vista?

jackluo923, Aug 27, 2008
  17. jccguays

kompute

Correct, I believe that windows (can't remeber XP or Vista) has a software raid setup that should be able to achieve the same thing as limpus does with aufs,

kompute, Sep 4, 2008
  18. jccguays

naddie

Unless Windows see the SD Card on the left as a non-removable drive, this method won't work either. Also this won't add to the C: (system) drive. You can only add space to another dynamic partition (one that Windows doesn't reside).

naddie, Sep 5, 2008
  19. jccguays

kompute

kompute, Sep 8, 2008
  20. jccguays

hiker_jon

Hi,
    I find the storage expansion to be a little confusing, especially when using the terminal. If I do a cd ~ I end up in /home/user, but half my files are not there. It seems that /mnt/home is the place where all the files are. So shouldn't that be the default directory for user? Is it true that /mnt/home has all the files? If /home/user has the files that are just on the original SSD then where are the files that are just on the expansion card?

Are there some tips and tricks I should know about for aufs?

Jon

hiker_jon, Sep 13, 2008
Ask a Question