How do you use your AA1?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by dakennedy, Oct 21, 2008.

1. dakennedy

dakennedy

I'm trying to justify my recent purchase of my AA1 (buyers remorse), give me some more uses!

So lets hear how/where you use your AA1 - watching movies in bed? surfing on the pooper?

All scenarios welcome!

dakennedy, Oct 21, 2008
  2. dakennedy

vinistois

i use mine in class so i don't have to take hours of notes by hand. I also turn it around to record the lectures sometimes if I'm super lazy or the topic is very important.

I love it because I use a bike for transportation, so it really reduced the weight in my bag while travelling. I take digital pictures of the textbooks so I don't have to carry them.

vinistois, Oct 21, 2008
  3. dakennedy

Tex

I use my one as my main computer now. So that means I use it for surfing on the pooper, movies in bed, chatting, uploading photos from cam to server,general web surfing, typing up my weeks end reports, reading the news out on the deck with my morning coffee and smoke, ect. ect. then add the super mobility even if I didn't "need" this thing I would keep it just so I could travel with it.

Tex, Oct 21, 2008
  4. dakennedy

daldred

1. Watching movies in bed! (well, once or twice...)

2. Odd bits and pieces of document editing while waiting for kids to finish sports practices etc - or surfing the web if there's wireless access. Means I can save what I'm doing at home, and finish it at the sports centre, rather than just hanging around aimlessly.

3. Skype (easier than sorting out the mic on my main PC, and built in video)

4. Web development: not heavy duty stuff but again odd bits, tweaks etc. I've got lightppd installed so can create and view php files in action, even without a connection.

5. Presentation. I do some presentations with an American organisation which has just (totally misguidedly - technologically incompetent lot!) moved from slide type presentations to a video DVD-based option which doesn't work well on UK DVD players (or on anything much else - even Windows Media Player which it is supposedly designed for gets various bits wrong). Kaffeine on the One handles it well, and carrying the One, a couple of cables and a SDHC card around is rather easier than a DVD player and a DVD - and I don't even need a power point for a couple of hours presenting! Also far better than using an ordinary laptop and DVD - the DVD span down between each 'slide', leading to a serious lag time on changes.

6. Oh, loads of other stuff......

daldred, Oct 21, 2008
  5. dakennedy

moondevil

I've swapped my work laptop for my AA1 completely. I use it for presentations, general work on the go, I've even got some lightweight VM's installed for doing live demos. All in all,I think it's a great piece of kit, and my shoulder definitely appreciates the move to a small machine. :D

moondevil, Oct 22, 2008
  6. dakennedy

jbird123

Replaced my desktop that broke... and im soo glad my desktop broke now!!

Use it for everything:
    • msn
      internet
      email
      writing notes in college
      college coursework
      LOTS of music
      the odd movie in bed, or hooked up to the TV in the lounge
      small bit of web design (working on a website which i hope to turn into a small business, nothing major atm)
      research (for college & the 'business')
      etc
    etc... so yeah, cant think of anything else but I use it for absolutely everything. Also usefull for on holiday to move the photos/videos from my phone to save space. Its basically everything I need with my phone too (share my phones internet via wifi too - n95, connected at any time anywhere). Its the ultimate piece of equipment to me!

jbird123, Oct 23, 2008
  7. dakennedy

Tavel

I use it mostly at school. it runs all day with the 6 cell battery. I take notes on it, write reports, write programs (c++), do website stuff, plus all of the non-productive tasks like email, listening to music, instant messaging, web browsing.

If i could, I would put my engineering tools on there, pspice and such. But I can't because I don't own those programs, I just use the school's copy.

I also use it at home, it's excellent to keep next to me while playing games so I can look something up if I get stuck. It's also nice to just browse the internet while watching TV.

one other use I'm looking forward too is bringing it along on hiking trips. I would use it to dump my camera's memory cards, but would also use it as a field guide to look up plants and animals...and it's actually smaller than the 5 field guides stacked together (insects, herps, birds, flowers, and plants). Very exciting.

It's no where close to replacing my desktop, but it has greatly enhanced my life in that I have greater access to everything I need, wherever I am. The only thing that's comparable is deciding to leave your PC powered on all the time so you don't have to wait for it to boot if you want to look something up on Wikipedia or whatever. It sounds stupid, yes. but once you break down that wall your whole life is just so much better because you can instantly satisfy your curiosities about anything, or instantly check your email while running out the door, or whatever.

It's basically all the little things that culminate to make a real improvement.

Tavel, Oct 24, 2008
  8. dakennedy

FrancisRude

I bought this little guy like 2 days ago.. Just got it in the mail, yesterday.. I use it primarily to haul in class for taking notes.. :)

I was gona get the mac, but the size and the looks!! so cute! LOL All the ladies loves this little beast :mrgreen:

FrancisRude, Oct 24, 2008
  9. dakennedy

Pontificator

I download a lot of out-of-print music from blog sites and since RapidShare's IP address counter has "pegged" me at home I often take it with me to lunch at various neighborhood restaurants (most of which offer free wifi).

I can download an album or two while having a meal. I cannot open .rar files natively in Linux (yet) so I just use a flash drive to transfer them to my desktop (a Mac). Of course, if it's a .zip file I'm rockin' right away.

Pontificator, Oct 26, 2008
  10. dakennedy

Flashfox

I use my AOA150 while I travel to...

- Exchange & manage E-mail,
    - Remotely manage my home computers (Presently from Lana'i, Hawai'i),
    - Follow-up newsgroups while traveling,
    - Stay in contact via Skype video and audio.

What I do NOT use my AOA150 for...

- On-Line Gaming (I play CoH, CoV and Tabula Rasa... from home)

Flashfox, Oct 26, 2008
  11. dakennedy

melhiore

Mostly e-mail, web browsing, PDF manuals and service software use - job related... Also I'm using AA1 as Ham Radio operator help for APRS transmission...

melhiore, Oct 26, 2008
  12. dakennedy

tommorris

Vim for writing code. Browsing web. Answering e-mail. Making notes in class.

I'm especially looking forward to getting it back tomorrow (from the repair company) as my MacBook Pro is now acting a little bit screwy (this is the last Mac I'm going to buy - certainly the last Mac laptop - from here on out, it's Linux-based netbooks like the Acer - if I stop giving money to Steve Jobs, then he'll make better computers).

tommorris, Oct 26, 2008
  13. dakennedy

Chicago_Jake

I use it to take notes in meetings. Or, if the meetings are really boring, to play games......Jake

Chicago_Jake, Oct 26, 2008
  14. dakennedy

Brian10161

I would use it at school if I was still in school, but I mainly use it for MSN, email, music, web browsing, and the odd game.

The 160gb hdd really makes it a lot easier to carry music and that with you.

Brian10161, Oct 26, 2008
  15. dakennedy

Flashfox

I am also a ham radio operator (been a "ham" since 1970). What USB-to-SERIAL converter and packet modem are you using? Software wise, which one are you using? (I have an external KPC-3 and a built-in modem in an Alinco 2m transceiver. Both require the serial port connection)

I am also considering using my Netbook for ham radio use...

Flashfox, Oct 26, 2008
  16. dakennedy

Securix

I use it to compose music. I also want to try using it as an inexpensive virtual synthesizer engine to bring with me to gigs.

Once in a while I use it in bed when I think of something I want to look up but don't feel like getting up to go to my main computer.

Securix, Oct 28, 2008
Ask a Question