how do you not dual boot

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by delaminator, Mar 17, 2009.

1. delaminator

delaminator

I have had some fun with linux, but don't want it anymore, I would like to take it off, but the grub launcher gives an error message if I delete the partition. How can I change it to load xp without a prompt? I would rather not have to reinstall xp, but will if I have to.

delaminator, Mar 17, 2009
  2. delaminator

garrettp

You can still boot to XP correct? I know nothing about Linux but the below should work from within windows.

in XP, Right click on "my computer" and go to properties

Go to "Advanced" tab and click the [Settings] for "Startup and Recovery"

make sure Windows XP is your "Default Operating System"

[ ]Uncheck "time to display list of operating systems.

Reboot and you should be good to go. When you reboot into windows you can then reformat the partition that Linux was on and use it for file storage. Or just keep linux there and use the partition for file storage and then you can always boot to linux if you want to :D

garrettp, Mar 17, 2009
  3. delaminator

delaminator

well, I tried to edit the boot file and corrupted the hal.dll file, so I got my first experience using the recovery partition. I am on a fresh install of xp, but the problem still remains. (it's not really a problem, but I don't want to have to select xp everytime I want to boot up, since I don't know how much I will use linux.)

Well, onto what above poster wanted me to try, I went to the start up and recovery tab, I don't have the ability to change the default operating system from "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect Does that matter, not looking forward to bricking it again just to figure out.

Would anyone have any links to the options on the boot menu? I went into it, but I didn't understand it.

delaminator, Mar 22, 2009
  4. delaminator

MrNiceguy

Your problem is really pretty easy to fix, assuming I'm reading your problem correctly. The GRUB bootloader is installed on the Master Boot Record, and the solution is to restore the default Windows bootloader. The "Microsoft Textbook" fix is to use the XP install CD to boot to the recovery console and run the "fixmbr" command, but that's kind of a pain on most computers, and a real pain with an AAO.

Download the MBRFix utility here: http://www.ambience.sk/experiments/MbrFix.exe Save it somewhere, open a command prompt at wherever you saved it to, then run the following command:
    Code:
    mbrfix /drive 0 fixmbr
    If you run into any problems, here's the page with more info on the MBRFix utility. http://www.ambience.sk/fdisk-master-boot-record-windows-linux-lilo-fixmbr.php From a quick read, it suggests making a boot disk to run the util from, but says you can run it directly from Win2000. Not sure if it will work from under XP.

Another suggestion I have is to check into the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. Google UBCD4Win - I know there's a way to set it up as a bootable flash drive. It has a MBR repair utility on it, along with a ton of other useful utilities.

MrNiceguy, Mar 31, 2009
  5. delaminator

Scissors

Oh yeah,
    Damn, I had this same problem and forgot about that command. Could have used it before.
    GRUB sucks at times. Some versions are incompatible w/ntsf.
    My solution was to wipe my drive. Stupid me. >.<

Scissors, Mar 31, 2009
Ask a Question