How do you deal with missing hard drive bumpers/rails?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Moist Towels, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Moist Towels

Moist Towels

I have an old Lenovo Thinkpad without hard-drive bumpers for its internal HDD. Every once in a while, the hard drive would be dislodged from its place and cause an error to appear; I would have to try reconnecting the drive again to make the computer work.

How would you deal with something like this? I know that the obvious solution would be to install the rails, but finding them could be difficult; what would be a viable temporary solution?

Moist Towels, Apr 7, 2016
  2. Moist Towels

CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy, Apr 7, 2016
  3. Moist Towels

Corzhens

Sometime in 1999, my husband was newly hired by a bank. He was issued a computer with a loose internal hard disk almost the same as you described. And since the HDD has moving parts, being dislodged is expected. The tech in their office did not act on it amid the reports and follow up - the case of the desktop will have to be replaced. After a month of use, the HDD gave up. It couldn't be accessed anymore.

I hope you can do something about that HDD problem now.

Corzhens, Apr 7, 2016
Ask a Question