how do u create a second custom desktop on linpus?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by explainit, Aug 8, 2008.

1. explainit

explainit

wondering how to create a functioning secondary desktop is it easy to figure?

explainit, Aug 8, 2008
  2. explainit

Aubrey

The short answer is "yes!". But I'm not sure how Linpus would handle it. I installed Xubuntu instead and have its native Xfce desktop alongside Enlightenment. (I did a How-To elswhere in this sub-forum)

Without going into all the different ways you can have alternative desktops, the simplest is just a matter of installing an additional Window Manager(WM) / Desktop Environment (DE) (Like KDE, Gnome, fluxbox, Xfce or Enlightenment) from the repositories (Add/Remove).

Once the new WM is installed, it will show up as an alternative "session" at login - (this is where I don't know how Linpus would do it because it is setup to automatically log you in to the Linpus Lite desktop. )

Linux also allows you to have multiple session configurations of the same Window Manager and also (and this is a real hoot) to run them in parallel on separate Virtual X terminals (that's probably a bit techie and over-the-top if you haven't played around with different WMs). The Enlightenment WM goes one step further and lets you have different wallpaper and toolbars on different Virtual Desktops.

This kind of thing really highlights the differences between Linux and Windows - the Linux desktop is just a different app, not part of the core OS, so it can be changed, hacked and even broken without messing up anything else. A lot of fun, incredibly flexible - but also a steep learning curve.

Aubrey, Aug 8, 2008
  3. explainit

madwoolything

This sounds fun.

For those of us with a little less experience, has anyone done this yet with Linpus? Did it work OK?

madwoolything, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question