How do I wireless transfer btwn my One and Windows based PC?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by makkax1, Aug 21, 2008.

1. makkax1

makkax1

I'm totally new to Linux and have no idea of how to go about wirelessly transferring files, I've tried Google and searching these forums but so far no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Also is there a way to stream to my 360?

makkax1, Aug 21, 2008
  2. makkax1

Andysan

Hi,

Welcome to the forums. This is my only real gripe with the One- based on who they are marketing the it at i reckon it should just work out of the box, but thats irrelevant and doesn't help you at all.

This will though:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=89&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=pyneighborhood

Read through the thread and follow the guide. If you have any difficulties or are new to Linux then post your problems and someone will try to help.

As for streaming to the 360, I'm not aware if that can be done but that doesn't mean to say that it can't. Google something called Twonky Server, I've heard that mentioned before.

Oh, and good luck!

:D

Andysan, Aug 22, 2008
  3. makkax1

makkax1

Thanks for that. I'm completely with you with regards to it working out of the box, I was expecting it to be a sort of Windows Lite, a bit more standard useability would have been welcome as unless I just want to browse the net or type a document it seems to be very hard work to get it to do anything. I thought Linux was supposed to allow the ultimate in customisation. I'm seriously thinking about just sticking XP on it! Anyway, I've read the post you pointed me towards and although once again it looks like a pain in the arse to me I shall give it a bash. Ta.

makkax1, Aug 22, 2008
  4. makkax1

Andysan

Yeah, the thing is although both Windows & Linux can be used to do essentially the same thing, it's usually done quite a different way.

I find that doing stuff in Linux is harder than in Windows the first time i try to do it, but once i get used to it the Linux way is usually superior. I'd stick Linpus out a little longer - once you've got an amount of software on XP it'll slow right down.

How familiar are you with the command prompt?

Andysan, Aug 22, 2008
Ask a Question