How do I include my new AAO in my existing MS home network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by johnx, Oct 12, 2008.

1. johnx

johnx

I have an existing MS home network and would like to include my new AAO. Is there a very simple way of doing this please?

Please note, for me, when it comes to Linux, 'here be dragons'!

johnx, Oct 12, 2008
  2. johnx

scottro

It's probably not all that simple. To communicate with MS machines, Linux uses the cifs protocol, supplied by samba.

With more complete distributions, it often works out of the box, but I'm not sure about Linpus (I don't have one to test here.)
    I have a page on samba, but again, it's not quite that simple. With Linpus, I would guess (but this is only a guess) that you would do

sudo yum -y install samba samba-client samba-common

Then you could try
    sudo service smb start
    sudo service nmb start

What you do next depends upon whether you want to use Linpus to access the Windows boxes or the WIndows machines to access the Linpus box.

Again, it's not all that trivial. With more complete distributions, it's relatively simple in a home environment, but I haven't tried with Linpus.
    I have a beginner's tutorial on Samba (but not for Linpus, and it's actually somewhat dated) at
    http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/samba.html

scottro, Oct 12, 2008
  3. johnx

johnx

Thanks Scottro. Looks like I'm going to have to learn Linux whether I like it or not!

johnx, Oct 15, 2008
  4. johnx

nmesisca

joining a linux machine to a Windows domain was a joke before, and still remains a joke.
    this is the reason why linux has not yet been adopted by the mass of people.
    I have tried it all before, and wasted way too much time, unsuccessfully.
    good luck with this mate, let us know.

nmesisca, Oct 15, 2008
  5. johnx

gadgetmind

Connecting to shares on Windows machines is very easy when by fuse-smb. I posted a script elsewhere in this forum that installs this for you and configures it (read to end of the thread as I made a 1 char mistake in the first version)

A modern Linux distro is great at working with shares on Windows machines, faster and more reliable than accessing them from Windows, in my experience.

Ian

gadgetmind, Oct 15, 2008
  6. johnx

nmesisca

sure, if accessing shares is all you need and you dont have a domain with group policies etc..

nmesisca, Oct 15, 2008
  7. johnx

scottro

AD isn't that hard. (Again with a complete distribution, I wouldn't know about Linpus.)

I have a page on that one too, actually, though 99 percent is just taken from the samba wiki.

Actually, Gnome and such will probably do it for you--I know that I've used Natilus on my workstation (Fedora) to connect to AD shares without having to do more than type in my domain name and password.

While there are many things in Linux that certainly need improvement, interaction with MS machines is at a production level now, I think--that goes both ways, many of our servers are Linux based.

scottro, Oct 15, 2008
  8. johnx

nmesisca

if joining a windows domain under linux requires more that was is required by a Windows client, its already too much.
    i dont want to read a stack of forums to do a 3 minute job anymore :(

nmesisca, Oct 16, 2008
  9. johnx

scottro

That's a valid point. Especially since so much of what seems difficult in Linux is only made so by execrable documentation.

Hrrm, but in this case, I would say that using a normal Linux distribution with Gnome, and probably the same with KDE, doesn't take anything more than it does on a Mac--doing connect to server and typing in user name and password. I pay a price for using fluxbox, (though one can run nautilus, if installed, in fluxbox) so I have to do a bit more work.

However--I understand exactly what you mean about having to go through days of googling and reading docs to do something that should take a minute--especially if the docs were easier to find and more clearly written.

That's why I put up my own pages--if something took me too long to figure out how to do, I document it for the next person, hopefully in a clear fashion.

scottro, Oct 16, 2008
Ask a Question