How do I get old desktop back from advanced?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Xmas, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Xmas

Xmas

I followed instructions and installed advanced mode and got the right click menu, downloaded a couple of applications, but now the screen is black and white horizontal bars! The internet connection works OK., but the right click menu does not and I cannot access the original desktop screen icons. When I go back into xfce and repeat the procedure, the right click menu will not work when the box is checked, and the open screens remain frozen in layers over the bars.
    Can I do anything except use the recovery CD on a USB? I am a newbie obviously and regret trying to be a cleverdick.
    If anyone can help, it will be much appreciated, but I will need "point and shoot" instructions please.. :)

Xmas, Sep 7, 2008
  2. Xmas

Demibeard

I had the exact same problem (horizontal black and white lines, no application boxes etc.) I gave up, and used the re-install CD :oops:

It's the second time I've managed to break my AA1 in a week of ownership!! Still that's what I bought it for, that and surfing in bed :cool:

TBH The 'make a USB drive' option on the CD only managed to delete the MBR on my desktop PC (Error 39 etc) so I ended up buying an external CD/DVD drive (PC World for £34.99). Works like a charm. 15 minutes and it's back like new, ready for me to see if I can break it :D

I love this little unit, like so many others, this is the most fun I've had with a computer since my Amiga days. :lol:

Demibeard, Sep 7, 2008
  3. Xmas

rbil

I'm not sure how serious your problem is. If you're going to restore your system from scratch, it's probably worth trying what I'll outline below.

Open a terminal, by ALT-F2, type in "terminal" (no quotes)

cd .config/xfce4/desktop
    rm group-app.xml

Reboot the computer:

sudo shutdown -h now

Hopefully you'll get back to the standard desktop.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 7, 2008
  4. Xmas

Xmas

Thanks for response. Here is what I get when I open terminal and type in "cd.config/xfce4/desktop" and press "Enter"

[user@localhost ~]$ cd.config/xfce4/desktop
    bash: cd.config/xfce4/desktop: No such file or directory
    [user@localhost ~]$

Am I not doing this correctly?

Best regards

Xmas, Sep 8, 2008
  5. Xmas

acering

I think you need to put a space between cd and .config/xfce4/desktop.
    As I have been learning, commands in linux need to be specific. Spaces and dots and lower and upper case all mean something.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck.

acering, Sep 8, 2008
  6. Xmas

Xmas

I really appreciate how you have tried to help me. I tried all sorts of permutations of your suggestions, gave up and re-installed from the
    CD!
    Cheers :D

Xmas, Sep 8, 2008
  7. Xmas

GavinK151

Hi,

I have yet to enable the advanced mode (I need to install Skype) but am a bit wary - just how easy is it to mess things up? Is the repository used by default specific to the Aspire One or is it just the Fedora repo? Are there any packages listed that one should definately avoid??

ta!

GavinK151, Sep 8, 2008
Ask a Question