how do i get msn messenger,someone please help!!!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by haribo, Dec 29, 2008.

1. haribo

haribo

hello, i've just purchased the linux aspire one for my girlfriend, neither of us are particularly computer friendly but for her purposes it is fine. She just uses it for fun, games , internet and chat. ive never used linux before and have no idea how to download. ive read other posts and cant get past the computer jargon. All i want to do is install a version of msn messenger. when ive downloaded it i cant access it through the downloads folder. im a complete beginner at this, someone please help. i cant seem to access the messenger and email service on the system, either. it seems to require an email address but does not accept hotmail. im extremely confused. other than connect to wireless ive as yet not done a thing to the system. am i supposed to? is there anyone that can help my computer frazzled mind.

haribo, Dec 29, 2008
  2. haribo

daldred

There is already a messenger on the Aspire One. If you have run all the Live Updates, it should connect to MSN. I have a hotmail address and it connects for me.

Running the updates may well be what you have missed. The Live Update function is in the Settings area (there's a Settings icon sort of bottom right of the home screen). They will take some time to run - Acer's servers are slow at the best of times, and a lot of people got these little things for christmas and are updating for the first time!

There is no way you will get a standard Windows program like MSN running on a Linux machine without a great deal of work - that's like expecting a diesel truck to run on airline fuel. You can install a Windows emulator, but why bother if the functionality is there already?

daldred, Dec 29, 2008
  3. haribo

haribo

ok, i've clicked on live updates, it updated for a few minutes then this came up:

'incorrect information file
    please re-run live update again to fix the problem.'

i've repeated this action a few times with the same outcome, any ideas?

haribo, Dec 29, 2008
  4. haribo

Ballistic

Expect to run it a few times, it took me a whole evening to complete the updates, and I also got the error at one point.

Ballistic, Dec 29, 2008
  5. haribo

haribo

ive been doing the live updates but none seem to be completing, its just error everytime. im baffled, is this normal?

haribo, Dec 29, 2008
  6. haribo

daldred

Two suggestions:

1. Keep trying!
    or
    2. Get hold of some more detailed error information. Get to a Linux terminal (easiest way is to press ALT-F2, then type 'terminal' in the dialog and hit 'run'). Then in the terminal window which comes up, type
    Code:
    sudo onlineupdate
    This will lead to the Live Update program starting, but detailed error messages being output on the terminal window. When it gives you the 'incorrect information file' error on the screen, close the program, and then copy all the output in the terminal and paste it into a message here.

(Linux programs should always dump detailed error information to the terminal, so it's usually a way of getting more information than is provided on screen. You can in fact often do the same thing in Windows, but it's not quite such standard behaviour there).

daldred, Dec 29, 2008
  7. haribo

haribo

thanks, the live updates are working. its taking a while like you said, i shall return if i have anymore questions.
    thanks.

haribo, Dec 29, 2008
  8. haribo

haribo

ok, so all the live updates are done, there were a few errors but it was completed. how now do i access msn messenger. when i click on messenger. it says :
    ''your msn account (followed by my email address) is error. our protocol is not supported by the server.'' what do i do now?

haribo, Dec 29, 2008
  9. haribo

fionad

Hi i have done all the live updates and can now login to messenger, but it is not showing me or any of my contacts as online. Any ideas?

fionad, Dec 29, 2008
  10. haribo

daldred

Sorry, if all the updates are done I don't know where the problem is. Mine just connected me using my hotmail ID, and showed other MSN contacts as on-line, so I can't reproduce the situation - and all I've done with Messenger since getting the One is run the updates and sign in; I've not done anything unusual! I don't know whether Acer update version numbers on Live Updates; mine gives version number 1.02.3003 in Help->About Messenger.

Could be worth keeping trying; there might ave been a temporary issue with MSN's servers. It does happen!

daldred, Dec 29, 2008
  11. haribo

fionad

thanks anyway, mine is showing 1.02.3003

fionad, Dec 30, 2008
  12. haribo

haribo

hello can anyone help me, i have been using the messenger for about 3 weeks now, an it all works,
    now it is saying when i sign in,this email address is not compatible with messenger and it basically doesn't support using web cam anymore,nudging and vid calls? i don't understand../ its all been working fine? can anyone tell me whats happened? please x

haribo, Jan 12, 2009
  13. haribo

woogal

I'm guessing microsoft have changed something in the protocol now that live messenger 2009 is out. Either it's temporary, or we'll have to wait for acer to release a new version to handle the change.

woogal, Jan 12, 2009
  14. haribo

haribo

so is there nothing i can do? is there any other way i can talk to friends who are using msn? and still use my cam? xx

haribo, Jan 12, 2009
  15. haribo

woogal

You could try something like amsn, but if it is a new protocol change then that might be suffering from the same problem.

woogal, Jan 12, 2009
  16. haribo

haribo

Im really sorry to keep asking questions, but i have not a clue where i would find that? x

haribo, Jan 12, 2009
  17. haribo

daldred

First, I can confirm the issue: I had MSN working upt o a week ago, now it won't si#gn in. The usual Microsoft breakage.

Second, installing amsn in any easy way won't help. The change was made by Microsoft yesterday or today; the amsn code has been updated (according to the amsn forums) but it will take a little time to be packaged for easy installation. If you want to update it as at now, you will have to get the code using a system called subversion and compile it yourself - it's not very difficult, but it's not point and click!

Acer usually seem to issue patches on Tuesdays; it's possible there will be a patch soon for this. Personally I'd wait until tomorrow and see if Acer do anything before getting involved in installing subversion and compilation environments!

daldred, Jan 12, 2009
  18. haribo

haribo

I am so rubbish with computers! i will wait an see if there is any change 2moro! thank you for all for you help so far xxx

haribo, Jan 12, 2009
  19. haribo

daldred

I think that's best - but if Acer haven't patched it, and you need to try the 'difficult' way, we can try to talk you through it - as I say, it's not a frightening as it sounds!

daldred, Jan 12, 2009
  20. haribo

haribo

hey, my messenger is still the same... i think i need talking through how to solve this....please??? x

haribo, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question