How do I find a new charger?

Discussion in 'HP / Compaq' started by thess, Jan 21, 2016.

1. thess

thess

I have an HP laptop and the charger for it broke. It only charges when the computer is closed. My husband ordered one from amazon but it was the wrong one. How do I find the exact one that came with the computer online so I can get a replacement?

thess, Jan 21, 2016
  2. thess

IcyBC

I bought a battery charger for my HP from Staples before and it is a bit pricey, but I wanted to get the HP name; so I was willing to pay for it. Nowadays, you can find the brand name you want on eBay for much cheaper. Just type in exactly what you need and something will come up. I am sure Amazon has them too.

IcyBC, Jan 21, 2016
  3. thess

vinaya

I have replaced charger for my Compaq twice and I have always found the right fit. I did not order online, instead I went to a computer shop in my town and bought the charger. I tested before I paid. If you want to buy online, always search the product by its name, for instance if I am seeking a charger for my laptop I will always search Compaq 510 charger.

vinaya, Jan 25, 2016
  4. thess

thess

Thanks. I've thought about just going to a computer store, but I know it'll be more expensive. I'll probably end up doing that though just to make sure I have the right one.

thess, Jan 25, 2016
  5. thess

ACSAPA

Well, do you know the model name, model number, and other important information about your HP laptop? It's a good idea to know that for when you search for replacement parts or accessories. If you can list that info, maybe we all can help. If you don't know your laptop's model and specs, you can look it up or look at the box and manuals that came with it. I advise you to check with the HP website as well.

ACSAPA, Feb 5, 2016
  6. thess

rz3300

Well there is one piece of advice that I can offer you on this issue, and that is to be very, very careful when you are buying this new charger. I say this because I did not, and I ended up regretting it in the form of money wasted and a lot of time wasted. It always amazes me how these companies find ways to make each charger a little different, for no particular reason, but they do and just make sure that you are getting the right one.

rz3300, Feb 28, 2016
  7. thess

nytegeek

Order it by the model number of the laptop, third party chargers are fine if they are reputable brands. What you want to avoid is cheap knock off chargers being sold as the real thing. This isn't so much of an issue in the USA but in places like the Philippines and many Asian countries counterfeit knock off chargers being sold as the original are all over the place. You can order directly from the computer manufacturer in many cases but that will be expensive. Ordering through Amazon or Ebay will be less expensive, just pay attention to the seller ratings, the model number, and the location of the seller.

nytegeek, Mar 9, 2016
Ask a Question