How do I add a Windows printer

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by palingenesis, Aug 14, 2008.

1. palingenesis

palingenesis

I have a printer shared on Windows Vista but how do I add it on Linpus Lite OS?

palingenesis, Aug 14, 2008
  2. palingenesis

dbwebartist

1. Click on "Settings" in the lower right-hand corner of the desktop.
    2. Click on the "Printer" icon.
    3. Click on "New Printer". It will try to find an attached printer.
    4. Select "Windows Printer via Samba".
    5. In the "smb://" field, type in the IP address of your Windows computer, a slash, and then the shared name of the printer. For example, 192.168.1.10/HP1300
    6. If you have Vista's password sharing on, then you'll have to enter a username and password to connect to the Vista computer. Otherwise you can leave those fields blank.
    7. Click on the "Forward" button.
    8. From here you'll have to pick the driver for your printer. You'll have to do some research to select the correct driver.
    9. If everything goes ok you'll see your shared printer in the list of printers.

dbwebartist, Aug 15, 2008
  3. palingenesis

lc_bago

im new in linpus linux lite and i did all the abovementioned procedures but it doesnt seem to work, what am i suppose to do?thanks for any help that would be contributed! :oops:

lc_bago, Sep 8, 2008
  4. palingenesis

JimK

You didn't say what kind of printer it is. If it's an HP printer, you first may need to install hplip, then from terminal run sudo hp-setup to set it up.

JimK, Sep 8, 2008
  5. palingenesis

lc_bago

It is an HP PSC1410. hplip is installed. I can discover and configure the printer from settings-printer. I can hear the printer moving as if it's going to print but it's just accumulating all my print tests and nothing else. When I'm launching HP setup the printer is not discovered. I have the same result if I'm doing it from another pc running ubuntu.

If this printer is connected directly on aspire one (usb) it's printing and detected immediately. Thanks for the help. ;)

lc_bago, Sep 8, 2008
  6. palingenesis

JimK

Well sorry I couldn't help you more. Maybe you need to do something in Windows to enable print sharing? Maybe change firewall settings? I try to avoid Windows, so somebody else probably knows a lot more about that than I do.

JimK, Sep 8, 2008
Ask a Question