How do I access the "special" characters on the keyboard

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by phillipking, Dec 21, 2010.

1. phillipking

phillipking

I just bought an Acer Aspire One D260 in Canada. The keyboard is the standards US English one, but some of the keys have different symbols in green beside the "main" symbol in white.

For example, the 2 key has two symbols in white: a "2" and above that an at symbol "@", to indicate that non-shifted is "2" and shifted is "@". To the right of that in green is the "@" symbol and above that a double-quote symbol.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get these symbols to type in these symbols. Is there some combination of shift/alt/fn/ctrl that I need to push so that when I hit the "2" key I get one or other of the two green symbols?

There's no documentation included in the box and I can't find a user manual anywhere online.

phillipking, Dec 21, 2010
  2. phillipking

DutchDK

Alt-Gr (right Alt key) + the key.

Dutch DK

DutchDK, Dec 23, 2010
  3. phillipking

phillipking

Hi Dutch DK,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid that doesn't work. I must have a different keyboard layout. There's no "Alt-Gr" key. The right Alt key is labelled "Alt Car", but I pressing "Alt Car" + the key doesn't do anything - you get a "bing" sound and no character appears. Same behaviour with the ordinary (left) Alt key.

/Phil

phillipking, Jan 21, 2011
Ask a Question