How can I create a recovery XP usb for my netbook?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by tech-guy, Jun 5, 2009.

1. tech-guy

tech-guy

Hey-- I am able to Un-Hide the PXservice drive which contains my windows xp oem and pre-installed software. How can I put that onto a bootable USB so I can reinstall windows xp to factory defaults on my acer aspire one netbook which does not have an optical/cd drive at all.

I plan to install windows 7 on my netbook but i want to be able to revert back to the default xp if needed, and I can't if i overwrite the MBR by installing windows 7. I could do the steps to restore the mbr, but not if for some reason windows 7 won't even boot and i can't load to any os.

Any help? I have a 4 GB USB flash drive. I am also able to boot from USB on my netbook.

Thanks,
    Chris.

tech-guy, Jun 5, 2009
  2. tech-guy

jerryt

What works very well for me is to image the hard drive to a backup hard drive with Acronis True Image or Ghost. Takes 20 minutes and saves the eRecovery partition, MBR, and C: partition.

jerryt, Jun 5, 2009
  3. tech-guy

tech-guy

how big of a usb flash drive do i need for the imae backup?

tech-guy, Jun 5, 2009
  4. tech-guy

jerryt

I backup to a hard drive, it does compress but not more then half the size. So a 20g install may take 10g of hard drive space.

I do use a bootable USB drive with the Acronis software.

jerryt, Jun 5, 2009
Ask a Question