Home Phone Persistent callers.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by something back, Apr 6, 2016.

1. something back

something back

Phone Persistent callers.

Are you constantly being called by overseas or withheld callers.

If you were not aware many new home phones, and cordless phones now
    can block these types of callers.

Also available are separate devices that can be linked in to your existing phone
    lines,without the need to replace your existing phone.

You can lookup most of these callers simply by typing their phone number
    in your browser, this will at least let you know if they are a known abuser.

BT home phone customer? look at the update below

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    something back, Apr 6, 2016
  2. something back

Sefie

Oh yes, I've been telling my mom this lately. Because soon I might be moving out and she is a bit afraid that in the next years my aunt and his wife might end up harassing her on the phone again. It's awful, some years ago it happened and she was so scared to even pick up the phone.

Sefie, Apr 6, 2016
  3. something back

IcyBC

My mom is the only one left in the family that still has home phone. She is dealing with constant marketers calls and harassing calls to the point that she won't pick up the phone anymore. She will let it go into the answering machine, and if people she knows identified themselves then she would pick up.

I have register her phone numbers with the DONOTCALL.org, but it doesn't seem to do any good.

IcyBC, Apr 7, 2016
    Novelangel likes this.
  4. something back

aymelol

My parents still have a home phone, but luckily we haven't been hounded by telemarketers. There was only one instance when I met some telemarketer from Pakistan. The scary part was he kept calling my home. I had given him a fake name, but it was scary when he called asking for me. Luckily he stopped after a few times, but I was quite terrified that someone who was originally trying to sell a product ended up trying to talk to me as though we were friends.

aymelol, May 26, 2016
  5. something back

filmjunkie08

Yes. I finally got rid of my landline and got a new number for my cell. Unfortunately, I ended up getting other persistent callers on me cell. As often as I can remember, I tell theses callers to put me on their do not call list. And if I don't recognize the area code or phone number, I just don't answer my cell.

filmjunkie08, Jun 26, 2016
  6. something back

something back

In the UK a new service that allows you to register your mobile, helping you to avoid some texts and calls

Text 'TPS' and your email address (required to verify your identity) to 85095. TPS insist that the text is free, though some might get a message saying they may be charged up to 15p – see the Spam calls MoneySavingExpert.com News story. Alternatively, you can sign up online or by calling 0345 070 0707.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html

something back, Jun 26, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. something back

Novelangel

The reason it's not doing any good is because that registry only affects legitimate telemarketers. It has no affect whatsoever on scammers who will stop at nothing to get your private information. In cases like those, the best thing to do is to just block them from calling you... which will inspire them to change their phone number, and it's unbelievable how fast they can do so. I have an image in my head of some dude sitting at a desk with ten different pre-paid cell phones sitting in front of him. All you can do is keep blocking them over and over again, until they finally give up and move on to some other victim's number.

Novelangel, Jul 4, 2016
  8. something back

IcyBC

My mom's home phone is required to have since she is wearing a bracelet from Life Alert, or else we would just cut it off. She also has a cell phone, but she doesn't remember where she put it most of the time.

Telemarketers are now targeting cellphones too and I have to block those on my phone already. But here is another problem, Life Alert calls using different numbers all the time, from different States too, so if I don't get a voice message from them, that is when I can block them.

IcyBC, Jul 10, 2016
  9. something back

ad.mike2016

I do not have a home phone but my parents do. They never seem to get any calls on the home phone much less from telemarketers or overseas callers. They keep the home phone because everyone in the family knows the number by heart and call it in an emergency.

ad.mike2016, Aug 12, 2016
  10. something back

abonnen

I was getting a lot of telemarketers on my home phone but after I put myself on the no call list they have stopped. I am not a huge fan on answering calls I don't know so it the info some up unavailable I don't answer.

abonnen, Sep 1, 2016
  11. something back

something back

something back, Jan 16, 2017
  12. something back

Twinflower

My parents still have a home phone, but luckily we haven't been hounded by telemarketers

Twinflower, Feb 28, 2018
Ask a Question