Highest download speed?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kryssiikins, Dec 26, 2009.

1. kryssiikins

kryssiikins

I just got my acer aspire one today, its running XP sp3, the browsing is great but....the download speed is awful!!! I'm getting a max of 80kbps =( I have tried everything I can think of(yes I turned power saving off), I have downloaded several different things to try to fix it and nothing has worked. I have been looking on the net for about 4 hours now and I havent found anything new, everythings the same. So, is 80kbps the fastest that this is ever gonna go or is it something I can fix by calling either my ISP (sbc)or the acer line? other than that I totally love it!

Thankies

kryssiikins, Dec 26, 2009
  2. kryssiikins

MacgyverRI

Google "TCPOptimizer.exe" , download and run the program to get better speeds. "Optimal settings works well and can also be tweaked manually.

I usually get 400+ kbs on a good connection.

HTH

MacgyverRI, Jun 10, 2010
  3. kryssiikins

Forone

Be sure you've got the latest Atheros wi-fi driver - I just got a June 2010 update via Microsoft Update website last Tuesday - it shows up there as an "Optional" hardware update that has to be selected, and doesn't show up under the regular XP automatic update desktop popup. No telling which version was installed on your new machine - a couple of years ago it was a major problem. (If you just got the machine, Windows update should be step one.)

I also turn off power saving and use the TCPOptimizer tweaks - read the detailed instructions for it. You should get very snappy performance.

Forone, Jun 11, 2010
  4. kryssiikins

Ibidem

I've seen up to 120-150 kilobytes/sec (I think I recall 200, but that was at the University); it starts slow, then the speed creeps up to about 100K, and after several megabytes it reaches full speed.
    This is running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, using madwifi 0.10.5.6 with an AR5007 chip

Ibidem, Jan 2, 2012
Ask a Question