Help with XFCE please?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Judgejoey, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Judgejoey

Judgejoey

I hope I'm posting in the right section, apologies in advance if I have not.

Basically I was having a bit of a play with various desktop and other related settings within the XFCE settings manager. However, whatever I clicked on has turned my small blue love machine into a useless blue brick.

After a reboot, My wallpaper had changed to the basic XFCE blue one with the rat in the middle... this got me worried.
    Worse still, I try to click on the settings manager and nothing happened. I tried to access the desktop settings, display and various other items on the settings menu and none of them activate.

I then went into terminal and tried manually to activate anything that would help me bring back what I needed. However commands like "xfce-setting-show" bring back ""No Such File Or Directory". In fact I'm unable to get any XFCE related manual commands to work.

I should also add that since this has happened, I can't access file manager, and various other programmes and tools on the AspireOne.

So, can anyone help? And please don't ask me to create the recovery USB stick. I tried using the DVD on my normal PC and it deleted my hard disk partition!!!!

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help or give advice.

JJ

Judgejoey, Jul 6, 2009
  2. Judgejoey

rbil

I'm going to advise that you re-install the OS. Acer really screwed up with their utility to create a flash key from their DVD. IF YOUR PC has more than one hard drive or partition, it will screw things up as you unfortunately have found out. I suggest that you try creating the flash key again by:

1) Use a computer that you know has only one hdd with one partition, or

2) Physically disconnect the hdd(s) within the PC before booting from the DVD and attempting to create a flash key recovery device.

Cheers.

rbil, Jul 8, 2009
Ask a Question