Help with deciding on which distro

Discussion in 'Linux' started by apauloisdead, Apr 13, 2009.

1. apauloisdead

apauloisdead

After plenty of trouble with Arch and Ubuntu, i gave up and put Windows XP, and have been using that for the past few weeks. I find myself trying to find plenty of Windows alternatives to things that are native in Linux, and i'm really not satisfied.

I think it's about time i got linux back on my HDD One, and after a few days of lurking these forums :D i've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 distros, Fedora or Sidux. Either way i will be using XFCE, as i don't like either Gnome or KDE. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of either of these 2 distros?

I'm looking for a lean, quick system, and i don't mind editing some obscure text documents to get my hardware working, as long as there's instructions how. What do you guys think?

apauloisdead, Apr 13, 2009
  2. apauloisdead

HappyHarry

best bet is to install a live version of each and try them, an up to date fedora10 needs no tweaks to get hardware working so that will be an easy trial, there is a good fedora sub forum here if you have any questions about it's usage etc >> viewforum.php?f=71

for sidux there is a thread here on how to get it configured for the aoa >> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12216 and you can ask questions in there about it.

like i said choosing a distro is a personal thing and i personally found fedora10 xfce to be faster to boot and faster in use than sidux xfce or sidux kde, ymmv

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 13, 2009
  3. apauloisdead

Reno

Sounds like you're looking for Crunch Bang Linux. I am kind of a newbie but am learning as I go. After switching to Crunch Bang I could'nt be happier with a distro for the AA1. Lean, fast and it has the backing of the entire Ubuntu repository.
    It's at least worth checking out. I don't think you'll find it a waste of time.
    http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto/aspireone

Reno, Apr 17, 2009
  4. apauloisdead

vautrin44

I have used XP, Linpus and Xubuntu. Right now I'm using Linpus because I bought a OCZ Vertex SSD and the OS really performs with a faster SSD. However, Xubuntu is hard to beat. I'm waiting for Xubuntu 9.04 to be released and then wait a couple of months for it to mature a little.

vautrin44, Apr 18, 2009
  5. apauloisdead

csmo

Haven't tried it myself so would you care explain what makes xubuntu so special? I'm thinking of trying it so your input will help.

To the OP, if you're relatively comfortable with Linux I would also suggest #! Crunchbang. It's simple, fast and neat. The new Jaunty though isn't a bad choice either. worlds apart from 8.10 if you ask me.

csmo, Apr 21, 2009
Ask a Question