Help wanted on making partitions when installing Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Wiesje, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Wiesje

Wiesje

Hi there,

Since I got tred of Linpus (recovering over and over again) I thought Ubuntu might be a good idea.
    Following the steps listed on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Aspir ... 07,2008%20)
    I created an USB stick for installation from a 8.04 Live CD.
    Takes some time (all night) but goes well.

Now I'm in the screen where I can prepare partitions. I've got no clue (yes, I'm a beginner to Linux!)
    I've got 120Gb HD. I planned on creating a 20 GB Ubuntu-partion (enough?) 60 GB Data-partition and wat's left for backup etc.
    Ok, I chose Manual partition. Looks like this:
    /dev/sda
    /dev/sda1 | ext2 | 118953 MB | 4600MB used
    /dev/sda2 | swap | 1077 MB | 0MB used
    /dev/sdb
    /dev/sb1 | fat32 | 4108 MB | 719MB used

My questions:
    1. On wich partion do I create the partitions I want?[/*:m:3rm41adu]
    2. When I chose edit partition, I have to chose Use as: (default 'do not use') what do I chose?[/*:m:3rm41adu]
    3. And I have to chose a Mount point: (/, /boot, /home, /tmp, /usr, /var, /srv, /opt, /usr/local) Wich one to chose?[/*:m:3rm41adu]
    Thanks a lot for helping me out. Ifound a lot of related items, but nothing to answer these questions.

Wiesje, Nov 1, 2008
  2. Wiesje

scottro

It's a bit confusing at first. You can wind up getting 20 different answers.
    As you are a beginner, I would say keep it simple at present.

You have 120 gigs. The ext2 recommendation is really for the SSD drives--the default is ext3, which is a journaling file system, making it easier to recover in case of a crash. (The reason for using ext2 on the SSD drives is to cut down on read write to the disk). The default used to be reiserfs, IIRC, but since the main developer was convicted of killing his wife, it seems to have lost popularity. He has said that if he's allowed access to a computer in prison, development will continue, but again, at this point, don't worry about it and stick with the default of ext3.

You could, for this first install, let it do its own thing.

Ah, here's a pretty good guide.

http://www.pcmech.com/article/installing-ubuntu-linux/

(Note he's working with a 15 Gig drive.)
    Anyway, it's got some screen shots and the like and should be a good start.

Your partition size seems reasonable, though I'd probably give swap 2 gigs. The rule of thumb is, at least up to a point, swap should be double your memory (though the link above says 1.5 times your memory.) It probably won't make a big difference. On a quad core with 4 gigs of memory, I have a 2 gig swap--but with that much memory, the machine almost never uses it. With a gig of memory, depending upon what you're doing, it might use it from time to time, but two gigs is ample.

scottro, Nov 1, 2008
  3. Wiesje

Wiesje

That's done. Thanks for the reply.

But now there's a message: An attempt to configure apt to install additional packages from the CD failed :?:

Wiesje, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question