help! unknown repair/mod on my acer aspire 6920

Discussion in 'Acer' started by eggy, Mar 5, 2014.

1. eggy

eggy

hi all
    can anyone identify what has been done to this laptop? see attached picture
    (yes i know :()

i bought it cheap

(to cut a long story short i had lost a 6920g after upgradeing it, then bought this since i still had a few spares lying around)

found this cut out under the keyboard above and around some component but not sure what has happened or why it would be cut?
    i have seen pictures of other acer 6920 and they seem to have one larger chip/component? where this has 4 small ones.
    can anyone enlighten me to what has happened or what this area of component is?
    the laptop powers up & lights up but thats all at the moment as it has no ram and i am waiting for that to be delivered.
    haven't been able to do any further set up/testing on it but i do not want to waste any money on it neither.
    had an acer 6920g previous to this and missed it too much did not realise how good it was until i lost it.
    any help appreciated

by the way i have build computers for home but have limited knowledge of electronics.
    acer aspire 6920 butchered close up.jpg acer aspire 6920 butchered.jpg acer aspire what component is this in centre.jpg

eggy, Mar 5, 2014
  2. eggy

something back

something back, Mar 5, 2014
  3. eggy

Adamo

I can surely answer your question, the motherboard could not show a picture, it shows a black screen. Sometime the problem is the capacitor you saw, the person who repaired the motherboard, replace the capacitor with 4 equivalent capacitors. But he could do a better repair if he somehow open the laptop to replace the capacitor, instead cutting the plastic to replaced the capacitor. But I don't know if the repair is successful, maybe that is the reason he sold the laptop.

Adamo, Mar 9, 2014
  4. eggy

eggy

thanks to all the replys

i inserted 2x new ram, known working processor and known working hard rive from my previous acer aspire 6920g.
    the blue light comes on on power up you can here something going on but no display nothing on screen. plugged it to another monitor and still nothing tried holding the fn key and toggle to external monitor but nothing and no signal to external monitor.
    i guess the board is scrap? i also noted that the touch pad cine dash on the left side does not illuminate at all where it should on power up.
    i will try to have a look at the connections inside to ensure that all cables are connected. and maybe buy another but new laptop.

eggy, Mar 12, 2014
  5. eggy

eggy

UPDATE ON ACER ASPIRE 6920 BLACK SCREEN FIXED FOR UNDER $2.50

ok i managed to get the screen to work now after removing the CR2032 CMOS 3V battery i replaced it by soldering wires to an identical CR2032 3V wrapped it in insulation tape have new battery on order, but now the laptop screen worked ok, also i noticed that the cine dash touch pad media control on the left was not lighting up i found that a small cable (ribbon) under the keyboard was not connected, upon connecting this the touch pad now lights up white upon start up and stays light up volume lights up in blue : ).
    now uploading software and trying to install the correct bios to get it to work on windows 7 pro as this is what is on my old hard drive i inserted from my previous acer aspire 6920g

eggy, Mar 13, 2014
  6. eggy

eggy

FINAL UPDATE COMPUTER WORKING
    my solutions: to get the display on the screen i changed the CMOS battery that got my screen working
    when i tried to install the latest bios from either a usb or cd i had no success at this but did manage to do this once i had changed the hard drive.
    where i could not get windows to load fully from a windows 7pro dvd and could not get an existing hard drive with same windows program installed on it to work i removed the hard rive and found it was rather hot.
    purchased new hard rive and it worked instantly installing and running very fast also.
    note the hard rive i removed from my previous acer aspire 6920g laptop was working when i removed it i guess it got a knock somewhere it was sounding a little noisy.
    hope this may help someone else.
    i still do not understand what the modification cut out and parts are exacly but it is working now.

eggy, Mar 13, 2014
  7. eggy

eggy

eggy, Mar 13, 2014
Ask a Question