Help! Task bar has vanished

Discussion in 'Linux' started by infoteksec, Apr 28, 2009.

1. infoteksec

infoteksec

I recollected Linux could have several window panes I could swap between so decided to try to find the feature and turn it on. Settings->Panels seemed a good place to start so I tried to add one and a strange box appeared on the desktop that didn't seem to do much so I removed it and closed the panel setting window. To my horror, the task bar at the bottom of the screen vanished too! I can still get to the various settings options by right-clicking on the desktop so all is not lost. However, I'd dearly like my task bar back. What magic incantation must I utter to set things right. Thanks

Hmmm ... seems like I probably deleted all panels - including the task bar one. Its not obvious from the documentation what I must do to reinstate the underlying XML. Your best shot at some help would be appreciated.

Aha - the documentation says I should be able to right-click on a panel and be offered a list of items that could be added - like a launcher, and clock, etc. Only problem is, right-click does not work.

OK ... for anyone thats interested. I found elsewhere that the magic incantation is "xfce4-panel -a" in the terminal window. This allows you to add icons to the currently selected panel in panel manager. Panic over - I've got some sense of order back.

Another approach I since discovered is to uninstall the desktop-switcher RPM and reinstall it. Somehow or other that taskbar panel is reconstituted from a template salted away within.

Thanks

infoteksec, Apr 28, 2009
  2. infoteksec

barrie

Hi infoteksec,

It is good to hear you solved this, :) we all make errors now and again.
    :eek:

barrie, Apr 28, 2009
  3. infoteksec

Corneilius

You did better than me, I did exactly the same opened 2 panels to see what they did, shut 3 and lost my task bar.

Tried to rebuild it in panel but couldn't get everything back and had to reinstal linpus to get a proper task bar.

Wish I had know that trick, it would have saved me a lot of time.

Corneilius, Apr 29, 2009
Ask a Question