help removing screw + hd connected to motherboard?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by procalli, Aug 21, 2008.

1. procalli

procalli

Hi,

I got to the last screw at the left of the wireless card and no matter what I did it wouldnt budge. I stopped before I sheared the top so I ask does anyone know a way of removing screws?

I was using a small screwdriver kit and a long nose plier. Would an electric screwdriver be overkill?

Also it seems that the hd is mounted to the motherboard. Anyone who has upgraded ram in a 120gb can confirm if I have to remove the right side board as well?

procalli, Aug 21, 2008
  2. procalli

judeh101

use a driller, works for me all the time. :lol:
    make sure you use the right bit though

judeh101, Aug 21, 2008
  3. procalli

Tikerz

I also had problems with that screw. I was using the small screwdriver kit, but I couldn't get enough torque to loosen it. So I used a larger screwdriver with interchangeable bits. I tried a bunch of different bits until I found one that would catch, barely. This was after I almost completely stripped it. I put some oomph in it and finally managed to loosen it. Needless to say, the almost stripped screw has a new home in One, somewhere less important. It had me sweating for a bit though trying to remove it, for sure.

Tikerz, Aug 21, 2008
  4. procalli

procalli

unfortunately i have stripped the screw.

Whats my options now? Do I try and drill it out?

Also where can I buy replacements and at what size?

Also one of the screws was missing under the keyboard. Anyone else found this the case in 120gb hd models?

procalli, Aug 21, 2008
  5. procalli

procalli

eureka!

drilled out the screw and have now got an aspire 1 with 1.5gb of ram

Note: the hard drive is mounted to the motherboard so the daughterboard on the right has to be removed (3 more screws!)

xp now flies quicker than it did before.

procalli, Aug 22, 2008
  6. procalli

xperiate

I am in the same situation - struggled with it and stripped the screw (its like a hole in the middle). How did u go about drilling it? Was it difficult? Can you provide some steps?

xperiate, Aug 22, 2008
  7. procalli

Tikerz

Haha, I did the 30GB mod today with the HD from my Zune and that screw location that gave me trouble before, broke completely off the board! :lol: No more screw there, haha.

Tikerz, Aug 22, 2008
  8. procalli

procalli

maybe they are glueing them in?

I must say its an great xp machine with 512 but an excellent machine with 1.5gb.

Now looking for a bag so I can take it to starbucks.

procalli, Aug 23, 2008
  9. procalli

xperiate

Drilled it out yesterday - fairly easy with a power screwdriver and a 1/16 type drill bit. In a minute or so the screw head came off and I went about upgrading the memory...

All's well that ends well.....thanks for the help here!

xperiate, Aug 24, 2008
  10. procalli

procalli

has anyone managed to source replacement screws?

procalli, Aug 24, 2008
  11. procalli

completing

Wow.. this is driving me crazy!!!

I couldn't get it out screw drivers..

I guess I have to drill out, but I don't have a power screwdriver...

It's killing me~!!

completing, Aug 25, 2008
  12. procalli

violajack

I had the same problem with the very last screw, so frustrating. We almost detroyed it, but had one screwdriver that would catch a little and one that was just a tiny bit too big. In the end, my dad pulled out a huge file and filed down the screwdriver that was a little too big so it just fit and had a really sharp point so we could drive it into the screw a little more. That finally got the stupid thing loose and I got my RAM in. Now I just have to figure out how to get the rubber feeties to stick on again.

violajack, Aug 26, 2008
  13. procalli

Rasputin

Drilling is definitely best, but there is an alternate solution. The post that the wireless card is attached to is plastic, so you can just snip it with some wire cutters. You can then extract the screw with pliers, and cut out the gold-coloured metal nut. If you enlarge the hole on the other supporting post very slightly (literally a wiggle with a jeweller's driver), you can place the nut into it and press it into place. You can then secure the wireless card to the other supporting post - I swapped the dodgy screw for another one from my collection. Not an easy mod, and you need to be careful, but it works.

Rasputin, Oct 17, 2008
  14. procalli

adrianaitken

Does anyone know the size of the crosshead screws ? I think an pnuematic drill will unscrew them but need the right screwdriver bit. I think it'd be a 0 or 00 but does anyone know for sure ?

adrianaitken, Oct 19, 2008
  15. procalli

cicatrizdare

I definitely stripped a screw as well...now what exactly entails drilling it out if theres no cross to connect the bit to? The top is completely sheared from what I can see...

Or does drilling it out mean actually drilling the screw till there's no more? I don't get it. :(

cicatrizdare, Oct 28, 2008
Ask a Question