HELP PLEASE - New here

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by hugh009, Aug 23, 2009.

1. hugh009

hugh009

I'm DESPERATE! I'm a consumer investigative reporter that instead of reporting OTHER people's horror stories has his own!

I bought an Acer Apire One within months of them arriving on the market - BIG mistake as I would tell my own readers.

I have battled, screamed and cussed out Acer people on the phone till I'm blue in the face! They kept telling me that I had to buy recovery disks for the computer and I resisted because I did not see what happened as my fault! FINALLY I bought them and got them after they lost the address to send them too!

Here is the problem.

When I turn on the computer this is what happens.

The Acer logo page comes up and then goes to Starting Acer Recovery System. Then the computer waits for about 20-30 seconds and then this pages comes up:

file\minint\system32\ntoskrnl.exe could not be found

Error Code 4116

I loaded in the new Acer Recovery disks expecting it to wipe out my C drive which it warned it would do. Fine I had every thing backed up. I went through the recovery process following every step on the instruction page to the letter TWICE and the same page as described above came up.

Now I'm a total novice at computer programming. However I would think that when you wipe out a C drive and start all over that you would reinstall the needed file line they say is missing.

Could someone PLEASE tell me what is going on?

I HATE the Toshiba Satelllite I'm typing this on and want my Aspire One back in working order!

Thanks,
    Hugh Simpson
    [email protected]

hugh009, Aug 23, 2009
  2. hugh009

yachtpro

For a while, depending on which rep you happened to get, Acer actually GAVE away the discs for free. No chance of that anymore. The Acer Recovery program is built into a hidden partition on the hard drive. Why didn't you try that first? I fear that now you may be past that and may possibly have destroyed the partition in which the recovery program resides, along with the main partition for the OS. Will your Acer boot at all? Keep pressing f8 as soon as you turn it on to boot into the old style DOS opening and setup. Choose start with command line. If you can get it into a command line status, type in: format c: /s EXACTLY like that, with the spaces after the word format and after the colon. None of this should be needed, however, if you can get into the recovery partition. Can you come up in "Safe Mode"? If so, let it boot into Safe Mode and then access the Recovery Program from your start menu. Windows automatically loads support for CD ROM so make sure that the external drive is plugged into a USB port and the Windows disc is in it before turning on. It should start automatically and Windows XP will check the drive and format it to load. You should also have a choice to "repair" the OS without reformatting. Do NOT choose repair using the recovery console as I have never had any luck with that. Windows will reload over itself and fix whats wrong. Hope this helps.

yachtpro, Aug 26, 2009
Ask a Question