Help please - have connection but can't browse

Discussion in 'Networking' started by inkbm, Jul 31, 2008.

1. inkbm

inkbm

Hi

I'm a complete AA1 newbie, just got it out of the box. It's been about 10 years since I used any flavour of Unix and this is my first foray into the Linux world.

Anyway, I've managed to get a connection to my wireless network - but Firefox can't see the internet, I can't browse at all. What can be wrong? Where do I go to look?

Thanks for any help.

inkbm, Jul 31, 2008
  2. inkbm

rockman

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing the same problem, and I have more details about it.

Fist of all, all the Firefox preloaded bookmarks, web pages with URL starting with http://en-us.www... , are perfectly working.
    All other pages and everything is NOT.

Ping functions for every host, but not for my DNS servers. It functions for my router IP, but the router config page won't show up in Firefox when going to its IP.
    Connection is ok with both DHCP and static IP configurations, and I configured my router in both PPPoA and PPPoE mode, but had same problems.
    I have a US Robotics Sureconnect, and a wired at it.

I also tried disabling iPV6 from Firefox, and system-wide (but in this case, I don't know if I made things right).

I'm in Italy and use Tiscali provider, but I hope this doesn't matter. For you to know, however, had this same problems with all linuxes except an old version of Gentoo. I really think the problem is something like iPV.

rockman, Aug 1, 2008
  3. inkbm

denz_h

I have the same problem. Posted an inquiry at the beginner's section. Hope we figure this one out. Any feedback if the bios upgrade will help?

denz_h, Aug 2, 2008
  4. inkbm

inkbm

my issue was something due to the particular WiFi connection I had. I've since tried two others and no problem whatsoever.

inkbm, Aug 7, 2008
Ask a Question