Help Please: External Display Problem

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Chicago_Jake, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Chicago_Jake

Chicago_Jake

Not sure where to put this, but I'm quite a beginner so I guess this is the place. I tried a search on this topic, but no luck.

I have a Linux AA1 with no mods at all; not even using advanced mode yet. I am trying to use it to give a presentation over an external projector display. I've tried viewing my slides in both PDF and the Open Office version of PowerPoint, and always get the same problem: the image is shifted to the right, so that the right side of the slide is cut off. It looks fine on my internal LCD display, but not on the projector image.

I couldn't find any options in my "settings" area to work with. Does anyone know what I can do about this? Hopefully without installing anything or hacking anything; I'm not quite ready for that yet! Thanks a bunch........Jake

Chicago_Jake, Oct 29, 2008
  2. Chicago_Jake

XFire

Is there an auto adjust funtion on the projector, try pressing that to see if that makes a difference.

Alternatively, try editing the xorg.conf for a more standard resolution as the widescreen angle may not be favourable for the projector.

XFire, Oct 29, 2008
  3. Chicago_Jake

Patric

I too am so new as to still smell of talcum and urine ... Beg to ask, how does one find xorg.conf and how does one [i]edit[/i] it after it is found? Can it be backed up before being messed with. This AspireOne is my first encounter with linus/linpus. Thanks much in advance.

-Patric

Patric, Nov 3, 2008
  4. Chicago_Jake

rbil

to get to xorg.conf ...

in a terminal do:

cd /etc/X11
    ls -l

there's your xorg.conf.

to back it up ...
    sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup

to edit it ...
    sudo mousepad xorg.conf

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 3, 2008
  5. Chicago_Jake

berighteous

I can't get anything on my projector. It says "computer Not Reg." and it's black. All my other notebooks work fine with the projector - just plug them in.
    I hit fn f5 and still nothing.

If I edit the xorg...what do I add/change? We newbies need more help than "edit to to do what you want." lol.

berighteous, Nov 4, 2008
  6. Chicago_Jake

Patric

There are other resolutions listed on the modes line in xorg, but only one is available/visible/selectable from the destop settings display setting icon. Help?

Patric, Nov 8, 2008
  7. Chicago_Jake

Patric

Problem solved!!

Turns out the 'other' resolutions are only available for the external monitor, and that external monitor [data projector] has to be plugged in to the AAOne in order to select an alternate resolution. First one must select the 'display only on external monitor' option in Display Settings from the desktop.

Now the slide shows do not appear distorted [squeezed horizontally] when projected on the wall. I suppose it is true that open-source does not foster good instruction manuals.

To all or any who tried to help ... thank you. It is and was appreciated. Be well.

Patric

Patric, Nov 9, 2008
Ask a Question