Help on Aspire 8920 Vista Issues

Discussion in 'Acer' started by plmcnutt, May 5, 2012.

1. plmcnutt

plmcnutt

Got an Acer Aspire 8920 laptop with Vista installed on it. Has worked well for the past few years, but recently I have been getting warnings telling me that "Windows cannot check for updates."

As well when I turn the computer on I get a black screen telling me that my system config file is corrupt or needs replacing....after perhaps 20 or so times of turning the computer off and back on it goes through and turns on with out errors.....

The main issue I have is that when I bought the computer no Windows install disks were included.

Any suggesons????

plmcnutt, May 5, 2012
  2. plmcnutt

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

Not sure about the update error, I've noticed quite a lot of people haivng issues with Wndows update.

As for the other error, how old is your machne?

You say when you turn it on you get the black screen with an error. Is this prior to Windows starting to boot up?
    If so, it sounds like your BIOS is either corrupted or the BIOS battery is just running low/Flat.

I would try going into the BIOS and resetting it to defaults first.
    If that doesnt work then get a new CMOS/Bios battery off the net and try replacing that next. Will likely mean some dis-assembly to acess the battery.

I would expect that to cure your problems.

elPaulio, May 10, 2012
Ask a Question