Help needed with Win 7 and Linux dual boot

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Roger, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Roger

Roger

I'm currently have the standard Linux fedora installed on my A1.

I've been trying to install Windows 7 to dual boot on my 120gb A1.

I have successfully:

Downloaded Windows 7
    Formatted my Flash drive
    Mounted the OS ISO image using Daemond Tools
    Copied the mounted files onto the flash drive
    Got my A1 to boot from the flash drive
    Selected the custom Windows 7 installation.

However when i select what drive to install the OS to i have a problem...

I cannot install the os to any of the partitions available. I get an error saying that i cannot install win 7 on either partition as it needs a ntfs formatted partition to install to and does not recognize the type of the current partitions. I only currently have two partitions 1 and 2. Partition 1 is 110(ish) gig and partition 2 is 1 gb. In the drive options the only options were to delete these partitions. The New, Move, Resize option are "grayed out".

I have also tried using the Gparted app to create a new ntfs partition to the hard disk the app gives me no options to Create New, Delete, Resize/Move ect...let alone change the partition to ntfs format.

Any help form here would be much appreciated....

Roger, Jan 17, 2009
  2. Roger

xrxca

It sounds like you have no free partition, you need to modify an existing partition (make it smaller) to make room to add a new partition.

In GPartEd you click on the partition you want to resize the toolbar buttons will then be activated.

I'm not sure this can safely be done on the running partition, I always use the GPartEd Live CD (or in this case USB) to make these kind of changes.

And how many primary partitions do you currently have, there is still a limit, so if you already have 4 (remember to include the recovery partition if you didn't delete it) you may have do some more reshuffling so you can create extended partitions (Then there is the question of whether windows can be installed on an extended partition)

BEFORE you start messing about make sure you do a search on booting Linux and Vista (Win 7 works the same) together, grub needs to be installed on the linux partition, NOT in the MBR (windows will overwrite the mbr) and you need a copy of the linux boot sector just to begin with.

xrxca, Jan 17, 2009
Ask a Question