HELP NEEDED!! USB PORTS NOT WORKING

Discussion in 'Linux' started by amy, Feb 10, 2010.

1. amy

amy

HI GUYS

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME I HAVE AN ACER ASPIRE ONE ZG5 IT HAS 3 USB PORTS. I USE MY USB MOBILE DONGLE IN THE LEFT HAND ONE AND I DID USE MY MOUSE AND PHONE CHARGER IN THE 2 ON THE RIGHT HAND JUST ALL OF A SUDDEN BOTH RIGHT HAND USB PORTS HAVE STOPPED WORKING. IF TRIED MY MOUSE AND CHARGER IN THE LEFT HAND ONE AND THEY WORK FINE BUT ARE DEAD IN THE RIGHT HAND ONE. I DIDNT CHANGE ANY SETTINGS OR ANYTHING THEY LITERALLY STOPPED WORKING. I HOPE NOT BUT IVE GOT A SNEAKING SUSPICION THEYVE BLOWN I HOPE NOT AND HAVE NO IDEA HOW.....IF SOME ONE CAN PLEASE HELP ME.............

THANKS FOR READING........AMY

amy, Feb 10, 2010
  2. amy

hightower

Please, be a bit more quiet. Don't use capital letters.

The usb ports on the Aspire One is a mess. I belive (not sure) that they have made some mods. to the BIOS in order to make the Web camera work.

The web camera is an flaky model who would not be found by the system if they didnt make the mods.

Another mod. they have made is in order to make 3G USB dongles available to the system, as the ZG5 has an PCI express port, which is designated for an 3g module, and that module is only available on certain models.

Check the postings about the bios or USB.

It may help to try different ports. Sometimes one port is blocked by the system, sometimes another

Or reboot with the conflicting device in place, sometimes it fixes things.

It might help to flash the bios..

It will work sooner or later, I`m having the same problems....

hightower, Feb 15, 2010
  3. amy

amy

I tend to write in Caps sorry for hurting your eyes :shock: :shock:

hmmm ive tried rebooting i did it about 10 times and every night i turn off my laptop but the two on the right hand side seem to still not be working.....

Im not sure what you mean when you refer to mods ( beginner you see)

If you resolve the issue i would really appreciate your help

amy, Feb 15, 2010
  4. amy

RockDoctor

If you plug a USB flash drive into one of the right-hand ports, does the system see it? If not, the ports are definitely hosed.

RockDoctor, Feb 16, 2010
  5. amy

amy

hi

thanks for reply didnt know some-one had posted though didnt tell me in my emails anyway.......

Ive tried everything in both ports but nothing seems to work :(

Any advice?? Please bear in mind with any replys total thicko on linux lol

Also im really confused as to something else nothing to do with my above post this may sound really thick lol but when i go to download certain things sometimes it asks if your using debian or fedora ect how do i find this out??

Thanks guys

amy, Mar 5, 2010
  6. amy

RockDoctor

I appears that both ports are bad. I've never heard of it happening, but perhaps having both the phone and the mouse plugged in on the right side overloaded the electronics over there (I believe they both share a lot of the same circutry, but am not really sure).

As for Fedora or Debian, if you've got the the original version of Linux that came with your ZG5, it's Linpus Lite, which is based on Fedora 8 but has a number of customizations. As long as any new program you install doesn't require upgrading of one of the customized Linpus programs, you should be ok.

Given that Fedora 8 is over two years old and over a year past its end-of life, you might want to upgrade to something newer. Since the USB port on the left side is still working, I recommend trying Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR). Ubuntu is a very popular Debian-based Linux distribution, has a good following among Aspire One users (http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28). If you want a more traditional desktop look, then Fedora, Mandriva, and the standard Ubuntu offering (and probably a whole host of others) all work well.

So why do you need a working USB port? To try before you install! All of the above-mentioned distros can be obtained as bootable Live CD images which can be installed on a 1GB (or larger) USB flash drive (search the forum, there are a lot of posts explaining how to do this). You can then boot the live image, and check it out without writing anything to your system's internal drive. If you like it, there's an option to install it. Note: prior to installing, make sure you back up all of your valuable data. Good Luck!

RockDoctor, Mar 5, 2010
  7. amy

amy

thanks for your reply im definatly going to give it a try....... watch this space lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

amy, Mar 11, 2010
Ask a Question