Help needed to boot Ubuntu on the left SD card on an Aspire One A110

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by French_Chris, Mar 25, 2013.

1. French_Chris

French_Chris

Hi everybody !

I've bought an acer aspire one A110 with a broken SSD at low prize. I removed the SSD drive to lighten the netbook, and installed Ubuntu 12.04 on an usb flash drive. It's a nice but slow configuration.

To speed up the system (and having one more native usb port), I've tried to install Ubuntu on the left SD card. The installation is OK, but my problem is that the Aspire one don't "see" the SD card in the boot sequence.

Booting on my USB flash drive, GRUB2 lists the boot on the SD card inserted, but when choosen, Grub2 can't boot on the SD card.

Does someone succeeded to build the same configuration, and how did you fix this problem ?

thanks,
    Chris

Update : I've found this on this forum, I'm reading it...
    http://www.laptop-forums.com/booting-sd-slot-t2966.html
    It's a boot using the SSD. So if there is a solution without using the SSD (that I removed, 'cause broken), I'll try it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    French_Chris, Mar 25, 2013
  2. French_Chris

French_Chris

I've found a solution, in the thread i've already referenced :

this is for all other users that didn't type a matching key-words.

quick explaination:
    the Bios does not boot directly on the SD card, but using a bootable device (such as the SSD or an USB stick), it's only a minor add to the linux boot system to allow the boot on an SD card.

Edit : the problem is that there is a download link that don't work.

=> so, if you find something to help me... I'm still interrested !

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    French_Chris, Mar 25, 2013
Ask a Question