Help needed Bluetooth on/off using 3G Swich

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by bishooman, Mar 16, 2009.

1. bishooman

bishooman

can any one tell me if it possibale to control an internal bluetooth i installed using the 3g/wifi swich i already moded the swich so it can go left and right any help ?

bishooman, Mar 16, 2009
  2. bishooman

garrettp

Re: Help needed Bluetooth on/off usinf 3G Swich

I have not looked at that install yet. But the wifi switch is a momentary switch. Are you saying you switched the switched? IF that is the case then you should be able to run the voltage going to the switch from the MB and then from the switch to the BT board. You can check that the switch is on/off with a VOM and continuity.

Like I said, I have not check the BT install out or had my AA1 apart. I will be replacing the memory soon and I can check the switch and look into the BT and post back at that time.

garrettp, Mar 16, 2009
  3. bishooman

jerryt

My understanding is that the 3G switch either grounds or ungrounds pin 20 of the 3G pad when actuated. Have not heard that anyone has rewrired it to control anything else, but it is known to work with the 3G card.

jerryt, Mar 16, 2009
  4. bishooman

bishooman

i have connected the power to the main board like tnkgrl mod do you think that if i solder the ground of my bluetooth to pin 20 on g3 pad it will work ?

like the picture belwo
    [attachment=0:1ucadys7]2766745179_98bfa2544f_b.jpg[/attachment:1ucadys7]

bishooman, Mar 16, 2009
  5. bishooman

jerryt

I don't know. You are a very brave soul to attempt it.

I would use a volt ohm meter connected to pin 20 and see if the ground is momentary or solid and if it is grounded for on or off.

But I WOULD NOT attach a device to ground on pin 20 unless I had a stack of motherboards to play with. Maybe if the ground measures solid and grounded when 3G is selected "On" then you can be brave. Aagin you have to accept it could damage your motherboard.

jerryt, Mar 16, 2009
  6. bishooman

bishooman

i guess i will do as you suggested, i will check pin 20 with another ground point on the mother board with ohm meter and see if the resistant will change while switching the 3g switch.

guys any one can confirm this before i risk my AA! :)

bishooman, Mar 16, 2009
  7. bishooman

garrettp

I would suggest the 5v power being switched on and off (I believe it is 5v). I edited my first post since I didn't complete my sentence.

The 5v power should run from the MB to the switch, then from the other side of the switch to the BT card. You will have to make sure that your momentary switch is actually converted to a locked switch though. There should be a little spring in the switch that can be removed but there is no retention to keep it in either position. So, a little bump would be turning it on or off.

I am not familiar with the BT card but I would wonder if there is actually a signal pin that turns it on/off? Do you have a datasheet on the BT card. Or at least a model number and I could search for a datasheet.

garrettp, Mar 16, 2009
  8. bishooman

garrettp

oops, just noticed this. First confirm if pin20 is a ground or power feed. You can check voltage with a meter simply by going from that lead to a ground point on the MB (like where a screw would go). If there is voltage there it will not harm anything by checking it with a meter. If there is no voltage then it is simply a ground. Of course, you have to do this with the AA1 turned on unless the instructions tell you it is voltage.

Also, as you state above you would actually want to check continuity. Do this with the system off. Continuity is for checking connections. If you check resistance you could actually be getting feedback through the circuitry. It goes further in depth then that though. Another thing I just noticed, you say 3G switch but do you actually mean the switch on the front right for the wireless? You should clear that part up too.

!!!! If you turn on your AA1 while it is apart, BE SURE you do not touch any components. Do not walk across the carpet with it in your hand. If you walk across the carpet or WHENEVER working on a circuit board, always ground yourself by touching a known GROUND. You would be best off going to Radio Shack and get an ESD bracelet. It is a little thing that goes on your wrist and then has a clip that attached to ground.

garrettp, Mar 16, 2009
  9. bishooman

fridtear

Last time I tried that with an ohm meter. The resistance does not change when 3g switch is triggered.

fridtear, Mar 17, 2009
  10. bishooman

bishooman

did you tried this and AA1 is on ?

bishooman, Mar 17, 2009
  11. bishooman

fridtear

No, I did it when AA1 is off.

I don't think measuring resistance is a good idea when the computer is working. Maybe the voltage can be measured instead when it is on.

fridtear, Mar 17, 2009
Ask a Question