Help me understand the 1.5gig RAM upgrade....

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Easy10pins, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Easy10pins

dannybesana

hey guys,Im so pumped.I finally did the memory upgrade..one question though..what sort of "changes" can I expect from now on? as for now im just happy my aao still works after that seemingly invasive upgrade :)

dannybesana, Apr 6, 2009
  2. Easy10pins

ronime

If you have an SSD equipped AA1 then you can probably do away with the pagefile/swap, if you have not already done so.

ronime, Apr 6, 2009
  3. Easy10pins

dannybesana

yikes..yes my aao has the SSD..but what is the pagefile/swap? my apologies for the simpleton question..

dannybesana, Apr 6, 2009
  4. Easy10pins

Biostem

Windows creates a file on the drive to store info as it runs various programs. It frequently reads and writes to this file. This is a useful way of storing and accessing data if your computer has limited RAM, as it can conserve that RAM a bit more. If you have a good amount of RAM, though, it is no longer needed, and can be disabled, saving all those reads and writes to your SSD.

You can get to the setting to change the page file setting by following these steps:

Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> [Performance] Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Change [Virtual Memory] -> Choose the drive and simply click the bullet next to 'No paging file' -> Ok

You need to reboot the computer after this...

Biostem, Apr 11, 2009
Ask a Question