Help me understand the 1.5gig RAM upgrade....

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Easy10pins, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Easy10pins

Easy10pins

....I've searched and read various threads on the subject but I need it in 3rd grader. :D

My Acer came with 1gig RAM installed.

1gig RAM = .98 gig of RAM according to systems properties.

How is it that some of you are reading 1.5gig of RAM.

I'm sort of new at this so please be patient with me. ;)

I will say that the AAO is the best laptop for what I do. I'm career military and do a lot of traveling. I have a 500gig Passport drive with plenty of music and movies for those extended layovers. I will eventually upgrade to a larger HD and battery.

Thank you.

Easy10pins, Jan 2, 2009
  2. Easy10pins

floor9

The system can physically have up to 1.5gb of RAM. 8mb of that is reserved for video memory. So that's 1528mb of RAM available to the OS. If you have 1gb, you've got 1016mb available to the OS. If you're running Windows, a "tiny" amount of that will be sucked up for ... well, the technical reason is beyond me, but trust me, the OS will make a few megabytes of RAM disappear. In this case, knocking off another 12mb of RAM will be enough to get your system to report .98gb of RAM available.

So yes, you do have a full gigabyte of RAM. You'll never notice those missing 12 megabytes.

Those of us who have 1.5gb have upgraded our systems by adding more memory. Your unit comes with one 512mb memory stick embedded on the motherboard, and another 512mb in your internal memory slot. To upgrade to 1.5gb, you'd remove the 512mb stick (only one is removable) and replace it with a 1gb stick. That way, you'd have the new 1gb stick + the 512mb on-board for a total of 1.5gb RAM.

Simple enough? :)

floor9, Jan 2, 2009
  3. Easy10pins

Easy10pins

Thank you for the quick explanation.

I will use the DIY guides to eventually upgrade the RAM. Not that I really need it. I'm running major programs on my AAO without issue. Including Photoshop CS4 (with a little lag).

Easy10pins, Jan 2, 2009
  4. Easy10pins

Peaty

I've done the upgrade to 1.5GB last weekend. I'm also running photoshop but CS3, not CS4. It did seem to help some with the extra RAM. I'm not new to working in a PC and I was a little nervous about the upgrade. I watched the videos and read some posts on the upgrade. After doing it though it was not nearly as bad as I expected. I did have the proper tools though which I think is key. I realize that the purpose of the AAO is not really to replace my Laptop but I have to say so far it's exceeded my expectations. I'm happy to get PhotoShop running at all let alone as well as it does all things considered :)

Peaty, Jan 6, 2009
  5. Easy10pins

csmo

Hammer and chisel you mean? :D

Seriously, what else than some small computer screwdrivers do you need for the ram upgrade? I too am thinking about upgrading the aao. The instruction video I watched on Youtube didn't show any other tools needed as far as I can recall?

csmo, Jan 7, 2009
  6. Easy10pins

Stu

Two Phillips micro screwdrivers and something flat to unclip the keyboard is all you need.

Stu, Jan 7, 2009
  7. Easy10pins

ronime

You need to apply moderate downward pressure to the silver coloured case screws otherwise you will strip the heads. A jewellers screwdriver (with the swivel end on the handle) is ideal for this.

A blunt flat bladed screwdriver is ideal for popping the three retaining clips at the top edge of the keyboard.

Run a credit card around the edge of the case to release the keyboard tray/bezel thingy.

ronime, Jan 7, 2009
  8. Easy10pins

caligari

Sorry if this is a silly question - I have a 512mb Acer One; is it still possible for me to get this up to 1.5gb?

caligari, Jan 7, 2009
  9. Easy10pins

w3dal

yeah you need a 1 gig chip added and your all ready to-go :)

Dal

w3dal, Jan 7, 2009
  10. Easy10pins

nmesisca

See above (and other countless threads).
    Open it up, plug 1GB SODIMM, close it.
    1+0.5 = 1.5
    Mission accomplished.

nmesisca, Jan 7, 2009
  11. Easy10pins

caligari

Thanks chaps - I had already ordered 1gb from Play.com, but I just wanted to double check that it was possible with this system.

I've watched two or three video on YouTube that show the RAM installation process - all I can say is 'EEK'. I managed to bork my old HP laptop after opening it up to fix a dodgy power jack, so I'm not exactly brimming with confidence when it comes to opening up my little Acer One.

caligari, Jan 7, 2009
  12. Easy10pins

w3dal

totally agree, not looking forward to it but will take my time and follow the video and see how it goes.

hoping mine will arrive today, gonna use it over the weekend on linux and then next week install the memory and XP

Dal

w3dal, Jan 7, 2009
  13. Easy10pins

caligari

Cool - good luck, Dal.

I'll report back here when I've managed to upgrade mine.

Hopefully I'll be typing the message from my Acer One, and not from the old Desktop PC (with my Aspire lying in smouldering bits in the background). ;)

caligari, Jan 7, 2009
  14. Easy10pins

nmesisca

just make sure you have the right tools, a safe bright spot to operate on, time and patience and you will be fine.

nmesisca, Jan 7, 2009
  15. Easy10pins

Peaty

The only actual difference for you will be you won't have to remove a chip since the slot will be empty. Good news,one less step :)

In an earlier post when I said the proper tools I was mostly talking about the right size and type of screwdriver. I've seen a few posts where people have buggered the head trying to use (I suppose) too big or too small a screwdriver. I have this set here:

http://www.itcelectronics.com/product_i ... ts_id=2534

And they worked perfectly.

Peaty, Jan 9, 2009
  16. Easy10pins

dannybesana

ok,another 3rd grader question..when i upgrade with a 1gb memory,will that mean i will lose some saved data?

dannybesana, Mar 20, 2009
  17. Easy10pins

Darryl

Darryl, Mar 21, 2009
  18. Easy10pins

dannybesana

Thanks.Yeah I've come across that video and I intend to use it for when I upgrade.Speaking of that, I'd like to ask for your help in purchasing the right memory.My idea is that I have to buy a DDR2 PC3500 200 pin 1gB card..are my specs right? are there any other possible specs I might come across when I look for it in shops? (i live in Luxembourg and there seems to be little to choose from here).thanks in advance

dannybesana, Mar 25, 2009
  19. Easy10pins

ronime

You need a 1GB 200 pin SODIMM. Either DDR2 PC2-5300 or DDR2 PC2-4200. Can you order online from from http://www.crucial.com/eu/ in Luxembourg?

ronime, Mar 25, 2009
  20. Easy10pins

dannybesana

You need a 1GB 200 pin SODIMM. Either DDR2 PC2-5300 or DDR2 PC2-4200. Can you order online from from http://www.crucial.com/eu/ in Luxembourg?[/quote]

thanks! well yes you could..but I currently dont have plastic if you could believe that..sigh..

dannybesana, Mar 29, 2009
Ask a Question