HELP!! Keyboard has a mind of its own!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by scribbler, Sep 3, 2008.

1. scribbler

scribbler

Hi

I just bought my AA1 last Sunday over here in Ireland for €269.99, with a view to using it for mainly writing..and that is what I have been doing since then. The only problem is every time I use the keyboard the AA1 seems to take on a mind of it's own by either entering smilies on it's own accord..moving the flashing curser to another point on the page of text..or just simply deleting a clump of text at whim, leaving me wondering just what the hell happened!

For the record, the only thing I am touching at the time of writing is the keys on the keyboard..and then only the keys I want to type..so what is is??..a loose wire?..a dodgy chip?..or something more serious calling for a return of my lovely little AA1 back to the store from where it was first bought? Plus some of the keys change..meaning if I hold down the shift key and press the "@" key to get that I end up getting ' " ' instead!

I have looked over this forum, but there doesn't seem to be anything about this, aside from this thread here, so if anyone can help I would appreciate it a lot!

All the best for now..

Dan
    (scribbler)

scribbler, Sep 3, 2008
  2. scribbler

karona

Hi Scribbler
    I'm prone to letting my thumb touch the touchpad when I type, which causes problems, especially if I touch the 'scrolling' zone on the touchpad. You've said you're not touching the pad, so I can't help there. The 'UK' keyboard has the quote " key as shift-and-2, where the US version has the @ sign on that key, so check which layout you have selected.

cheers
    Keith

karona, Sep 3, 2008
  3. scribbler

hmraao

@" key issues pop up regularly. Try entering "+keyboard +map +issue" into the forum's (advanced) search. If memory serves, you need to do a couple of live updates and set you keyboard and language preferences.

As for your "keyboard's mind" problem, some of it sounds like an unwanted predictive typing setting, and some of it does indeed sound like inadvertent contact with the touchpad. You could try temporarily disabling the touchpad while you're typing. Fn+F7 toggles it on and off.

What your post, unfortunately, doesn't mention is what application you were typing into when your keyboard displayed this unruly behaviour. That could really help to sort out whether it's a hardware problem or a user problem. Unless your AAO fell off the back of a lorry, my money's on the latter.

hmraao, Sep 3, 2008
  4. scribbler

scribbler

Keith and hmraao,

My sincere thanks for trying to help me get to the bottom of this. As it turns out, since posting I took my AA1 back to the store and exchanged it for another one..thins time I got the Blue model, as they were all out of the white one I had before..shame, I just gooten to like it, too!

Anyway, for the record, the guy at the store touched on something hmraao mentioned..locking off the touchpad..but he went further to suggest that the issue might be down to a conflict if using a mouse at the same time..as I had been doing, but forgot to mention here..my excuse is I am new to all of this and I'm sticking to it! :D

Now things seem to be working just fine..fingers crossed..but thanks for jumping in with the combined wisdom..from both of you.

Dan

scribbler, Sep 3, 2008
  5. scribbler

Hozyboy

Hahaha. A really peculiar issue right there. Thank you fie sharing with us. Now if any of my devices get a mind of their own I know what to do.
    Anyway if you ever have a problem with a new device it is usually the best idea to take it back to the store for help.

Hozyboy, Mar 5, 2016
  6. scribbler

Corzhens

Have you tried using another keyboard? Just to isolate the problem, test with another keyboard and if it doesn't act the same that means the keyboard is the problem. Our home desktop is using a wireless keyboard (that I bought in a cheap electronics store). There are occasions that the keyboard would be churning out some letters on its own. Worse, sometimes it types by itself a long series of letter like aaaaaaaaaa or cccccccccc. What we do is to take off the battery to reset and it runs okay again.

Corzhens, Mar 5, 2016
Ask a Question