Help - I screwed up

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ice_snow, Aug 31, 2008.

1. ice_snow

ice_snow

I was trying to updated to Firefox 3.0, and in the process I uninstalled Firefox 2, and now when I start my One all I get is the black screen and the search bar. Even the advanced menu has dissapeared from the task bar and the right-click as well. Is there any way to recover my laptop with out using the recover DVD?

ice_snow, Aug 31, 2008
  2. ice_snow

Shagbag

I don't think so. I had a similar problem when I updated from the Fedora repos. It installed a new kernel and a bunch of other stuff. It's probably easier to just to a full re-install from the CDROM. That's what I did. It was easy - although it did take around 15 mins to install the image and then update.

Shagbag, Aug 31, 2008
  3. ice_snow

ice_snow

Thanks

ice_snow, Sep 2, 2008
  4. ice_snow

juniper

I'm having the same problems and I've tried friggin' everything. I'm about to give in and buy an external CD drive. Does any external USB CD drive work with linux?

juniper, Sep 2, 2008
  5. ice_snow

Darryl

wouldnt bother with the external drive. creating a usb recovery stick will save ya the cash and it'll ony add 10 mins to the 15 min process

Darryl, Sep 2, 2008
  6. ice_snow

ice_snow

To all those who are looking at recovering their AAOne, be advised that there is some form of problem with most people getting the "Create USB recovery stick" from the ACER recovery DVD, however there is hope. Some kind soul has taken the image that would have been written to the USB stick and placed that online, and the link to the topic is...

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1611&p=11433&hilit=recover+usb+image#p11433

I have done this myself just the other day, and I did it in windows with a Virtual Box http://www.virtualbox.org/, and a copy of Puppy Linux 4.0 http://www.puppylinux.org/. Now there are other way of doing it (any Live CD Linux will do the trick), and a flash drive over 4GB (I used a Kingston 8GB Data Traveler). Once that was done, stick it in your AAOne and hit F12 during the boot process and then follow the on-screen instructions and you'll be set.

Have fun.

ice_snow, Sep 2, 2008
Ask a Question