HELP! F10 XFCE install, with tweaks, now probs

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mailman1175, Dec 28, 2008.

1. mailman1175

mailman1175

All right, I installed the XFCE spin of F10 on my AAO. Let it auto-update (which takes hours w/ my slow internet connection), and started tweaking it per The road to Elysium.

The first time, I followed all his instructions. The directions on converting to ext2 led to some unexpected error messages, but I trudged on, top to bottom, rebooting only when done. Results?
    Code:
    Error 11: Unrecognized device string

Press any key to continue...
    ... which I do, and it sends me to a grub screen, at which point I have no idea what to do.

Grr. Oh, well, I figure, maybe that has something to do with trying to convert a mounted filesystem to ext2... [As an aside: This is probably what happens when you give someone just enough knowledge to be dangerous! :lol: ] So, I re-install the live OS, install to hard drive, go through the 10 hour process of updating again, reboot, SKIP the ext2 conversion steps, update to madwifi, reboot, then go through his section on "Optimizing Fedora 10". Results? You guessed it:
    Code:
    Error 11: Unrecognized device string
    So now the question is: Can I fix this from the grub menu? or do I have to re-install again?

Edited to add: I found another post somewhere in which the OP mentioned having the same probs as me. He said a line in /boot/grub/grub.conf got split, and that he'd edited it from the live cd, which fixed his problem. If that's the case, I just need to know how to edit that file from a live cd. The obvious (as root)
    Code:
    nano /boot/grub/grub.conf
    just returned a "not found" error.

mailman1175, Dec 28, 2008
  2. mailman1175

jhedrotten

nano does not come preinstalled.

why don't you try replacing it with mousepad?

jhedrotten, Dec 29, 2008
  3. mailman1175

kghunt

i know what your problem is I had the same issue. I reinstalled twice before I figure out what the problem was. When you edited you grub.conf i bet one of the lines got word wrapped onto 2 lines. So when it boots it only gets half the line. Reboot with the live cd follow the grub bit again and make sure you only have 3 lines not 4 return the broken one up if need be then same and reboot.

kghunt, Dec 29, 2008
  4. mailman1175

mailman1175

nano works. I didn't install it. I guess that means it's preinstalled now. *shrug*

mailman1175, Dec 30, 2008
  5. mailman1175

jhedrotten

whoa. weird. :lol:

jhedrotten, Dec 30, 2008
  6. mailman1175

magbak

I had the same problem, nano, or my use of nano broke grub.conf.
    the problem I had was the line that starts with kernel being split into two lines after "ro"
    Code:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686 ro
    root=UUID=someuuuid rhgb quiet elevator=noop

a backspace made it look more like this:
    Code:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686 ro root=UUID=someuuuid rhgb quiet elevator=noop
    I did this by mounting the disk using the liveusb and editing it with nano again,
    but you can also edit it from boot, but that's a bit boring.
    you have to type the entire line again since I don't think there is putting lines together in the editor you get from boot.

magbak, Jan 2, 2009
Ask a Question