Help - Error 17 - AOA 110-Ab

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bigweed, Jun 25, 2011.

1. bigweed

bigweed

Hi all

I have an Acer Aspire One AOA 110-Ab ZG5. It came with that Linux OS which I have not changed and left as is. Now, whenever I turn on the Acer, I get initial 'Acer Empowering People' screen where you can press F2 to go to Setup and F12 to go to Boot Order. This stays on screen for about a second or two, then I get a black screen with 'Error 17' in the top left hand corner.

I have tried the 'Alt + F10' thing but it doesnt work. I know I am doing it right as I have used it before and it worked.

I have also tried flashing the BIOS but that hasnt worked either. I tried this with versions 3304, 3305, 3308, 3309, and 3310. I used the following instructions:

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer ... overy.html

Does anyone know what is wrong, or is there anything else I can try???

All help most appreciated
    Cheers

bigweed, Jun 25, 2011
  2. bigweed

donec

Can you boot from a live CD/DVD/USB?
    What kind of drive do you have?

donec, Jun 26, 2011
  3. bigweed

bigweed

Hi, I don't have any cd or Dvd drive, its just the usb. I'm not sure what a live USB is? Whatever it is I don't think I have it. I am quite willing to change the OS if that is easier, just want it to work! Cheers

bigweed, Jun 26, 2011
  4. bigweed

donec

A Live USB is the same as a Live CD but it is on a USB stick. The reason I ask is to try and find out if your drive has died or if it is some other hardware. If you can download a copy of Linux Mint 10 and UNetbootin and if you have a 1gig or larger USB stick you can create a Live Linux Mint 10 USB stick. Then try to boot from it. Linux Mint 10 is what I use on my AOA 110 ZG5 with an 8G SSD and it works right out of the box giving me a completely functional computer that is easily updated. Instead of a crippled Linpus computer.

If you need more detail help let me know.

donec, Jun 26, 2011
  5. bigweed

bigweed

Hi, sorry for replying so late, been on hols! Been looking into creating this live usb, but am a bit confused about how to do it. I have downloaded unetbootin, but not sure how to use it. I have access to a windows laptop, could you please give me some detailed easy to follow steps for a linux noob? I can't wait to get rid of windows! Cheers

bigweed, Jul 17, 2011
  6. bigweed

donec

Did you download a copy of Linux Mint? If not you need to do that first.

donec, Jul 17, 2011
Ask a Question