help! confused! pls help ROOKIE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by T-bone64, Jan 9, 2009.

1. T-bone64

T-bone64

my wife bought our children aspir one laptops/netbooks 4 xmas but got the linux version not knowing there's a difference. we are all comfortable with windows . how do we use windows based progs and windows based sites like e-mail etc. :?

T-bone64, Jan 9, 2009
  2. T-bone64

woodland

Hi and welcome...

I would advise you to read through the HOWTO's and other guides and manuals here in this forum.
    Use the search function available Right Top Corner!! it will help you out most if not all of the times.
    Using windows based sites should not cause a problem... well the windows Update site would but you don't need it anyways ;) .

Have a look here: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... ackup.html
    It's a guide to a very easy backup and restore program

Get acquainted with Linpus it's not windows but if you play a little with it you will find it quite usefull.
    Think of your AA1 as a very luxurious mobile phone with it's own interface.O.S. with it's own rules and peculiarities.

To answer your question about using windows programs: Install Wine .. i'm rather sure thats quite useless advice at this point.

What windows programs are you talking about?
    Most of your needs will be fulfilled by Linpus. The progs you're looking for are there they are just a little hidden and have different names.

Enjoy your AA1.. it took me a few days to understand it too but i'm quite happy with it now!

woodland, Jan 9, 2009
  3. T-bone64

meng

It would help to know what sort of "windows-based" programs you use.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "windows-based sites". Are you talking about the Internet? You can access the Internet through any web browser (e.g. Firefox). If you want other features such as Flash Player, then search the forums, or else ask a specific question.

meng, Jan 9, 2009
  4. T-bone64

noobeeJF

hi T-Bone, as the esteemed posters above said, theres really not a lot you cant do with the Acer Aspire One that you couldnt do with a Windows laptop, except most of it works straight out the box lol... lets take things one step at a time...
    Internet, well, once the live updates have been done (2+hrs for me) you should be pretty much up and running and online, once your wi-fi is connected, which only involved me putting in the WEP key on the back of my BT modem (its the really long string of letters and numbers on back, by the barcode, most other modesm/routers have same set up. The browser pre-installed on the Acer is Mozilla Firefox, perfectly adequate, and in my opinion a far more stable browser than Internet Explore from MS (for 'stable' read 'better' lol) :lol:

Email the Acer comes pre installed with a basic email programme, limited but perfectly adequate, no , its not MS Outlook, then again, its free, and not 80 quid. the 'setting up' involved the grand hassle of simply entering my email address and password, 5 secs later it was downloading my current emails, sweet :D

Word/Excell etc the Acer comes pre installed with Open Office software, which includes 'Write (Word) and 'Spreadsheet' (Excel) both up to the task that you would expect from their MS counterparts, you will not notice a lot of difference in using them at all (well, i didnt) i still use my Vista laptop for spreadsheets, word docs etc and the perfectly happily work on both machines with no problems. :geek:

Video/Pictures the Acer comes pre installed with a (very) basic media player, sadly probably its biggest let down, but a free programme called 'Vlc' is available and would highly recommend you download once your comfortable with the Acer and had a play around with for a week or two... :ugeek:

Games well, to be honest i havent really messed about with the games section a lot, apparently a lot of them are only partially installed and to be honest i wouldnt like to comment other than have a good play and see what there is there. :roll:

all in all, out the box the Acer does most if not all the things you would need, if not just in a slightly 'different' way to a Windows machine, but more than adequate for the tasks that your kids probably need.

have a good play with it and read these forums, most if not all your quieries will have been addressed on here, and although some of the things might seem a tad daunting at first (open Terminal and type... blah blah blah) its really not that hard once done a few times.
    enjoy! :mrgreen:

noobeeJF, Jan 9, 2009
Ask a Question