Help: Computer randomly finds "bootable device"

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by drburtonsfriend, Nov 9, 2008.

1. drburtonsfriend

drburtonsfriend

OK....it all started about four days ago..(please forgive me for being a little computer dumb!)..I started up my computer in class, only to see this message:

PXE-E61:media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F:eXITING BROADCOM pxe rom
    No bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key.

I figured my hard drive had completely crashed. A few hours later, my computer rebooted just fine, a little more slow, but all of my files were still on my computer. Then, a few hours after that, I received the same message as before when I tried to boot up. So, I restored my computer to factory settings.

I'm still having the same problem...sometimes my computer will boot up, other times I receive the message about "No bootable device"

Whenever I go to my bios...i noticed that the times that my computer does boot up, it reads IDE0 followed by some letters and numbers, I'm guessing specifying my specific hard drive. The times when it doesn't boot, it just says IDE0, with nothing following it (if that makes sense).

I'm just trying to figure out exactly what the problem is and if I need to return it (or can). Also, if it is important at all, I have the version with Linux.

Thanks..

drburtonsfriend, Nov 9, 2008
  2. drburtonsfriend

zackster

The same problem. It used to happened only when I was waking it up from hibernation. Now I got the same problem sometimes when I turn it on from boot. However, most of the times I reboot it (ctrl-alt-del) and it comes back fine. But today when I did it it stayed on welcome screen for about 15 minutes. I turned it off and still waiting for the solution. I installed bios 3307 couple of days ago and it worked fine till today....

zackster, Nov 15, 2008
  3. drburtonsfriend

rbil

I would suspect a hardware problem. Could be something like a bad connection to the SSD drive. The fact that it is an intermittent problem, seems to indicate a problem like this. I'd return it for a replacement if it was mine.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 15, 2008
  4. drburtonsfriend

Tamrac

This really sounds like a dying Hardisk drive..... had this now you see it now you don't before on different computers. And all pointed to a dying drive. Backup your date bro!

Tamrac, Nov 15, 2008
  5. drburtonsfriend

xMRG

Any of you have more information?

I am having the same problem on one of the two devices I bought for the kids. One exhibited the problem on the second day and the other has not had this problem (yet?). I too can recover using a ctrl-alt-del. After ctrl-alt-del the computer reboots, displays the resuming windows messages, and then shows the logon screen as expected. BTW, this problem is not intermittent on this computer. After every hibernation the problem occurs.

xMRG, Dec 3, 2008
  6. drburtonsfriend

fleong

This was happening to me after I installed additional memory (Crucial memory from crucial). Completely fine after I removed the memory (at least it has been for about a week).

fleong, Jan 15, 2009
  7. drburtonsfriend

fleong

Things went well for about 2 weeks this time. Still getting occasional (rare) startup errors with the same error message.
    Should I send it in for repair?
    The worry is that they cannot reproduce the very intermittent problem. I already have an RMA.

fleong, Jan 27, 2009
  8. drburtonsfriend

Guest Guest

Same thing. happened first day of use. only does it after hibernating. If I turn it off with windows shut down or hold down power button it boots up fine. acers website support stinks, any help here would be greatly appreciated

Guest, Jan 30, 2009
  9. drburtonsfriend

ronime

The "Broadcom PXE ROM" would seem to indicate that your AAO is trying to boot from a network. You don't plug your AAO into a wired network in class do you?

A couple of things worth trying before you hand the AAO back to Acer for repair:

Press F2 to access the BIOS settings at startup.
    1. In the "Main" tab, ensure that "Network Boot" is set to [Disabled].
    2. In the "Boot" tab ensure that the "Network Boot" item is at the bottom of the list.

ronime, Jan 30, 2009
  10. drburtonsfriend

Guest Guest

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.09 (080602)
    PXE-E61: Media test failure. check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    No bootable device --insert boot disk and press any key

I'll try the above suggestion and get back to let ya know if it works

Guest, Jan 30, 2009
  11. drburtonsfriend

Guest Guest

Doesn't Work. Just made the screen go black and had to give three finger salute to reboot.

Guest, Jan 30, 2009
  12. drburtonsfriend

Guest Guest

For the time being I just turned off hibernate and I start out of standby which is actually pretty quick. Still have great battery life. It hasn't been plugged in for 8 hours now and battery is at 55% :idea:

Guest, Jan 30, 2009
Ask a Question