Help! AOA150 freezes up

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ddcurtis, Jan 19, 2010.

1. ddcurtis

ddcurtis

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but have had my little netbook for a year now. Worked fine until the warranty ran out, then PROBLEMS!!

Within about 5 minutes of startup, the computer freezes up. The mouse cursor will still move around, but you can't navigate any windows, open or close programs, change tabs in a browser, or even turn the darn thing off! So I have to do a 'hard stop' and hold the power button down until it turns off. I called Acer but of course they only offer paid support after warranty.

Any ideas? I reloaded the Op System (more than once) using eRecovery, but it still freezes up. Are the disks they sell the same software and drivers as what's found in the partition in my HD? Should i update the BIOS?

Or do I have a hardware problem? I don't think so, because everything runs correctly for a few minutes, then it just sits there....Oh, mine is running WinBlows XP home, if that is important....

Please help, I like the little guy and want to make it work again....
    Cheers, Dave
    [email protected]

ddcurtis, Jan 19, 2010
  2. ddcurtis

ddcurtis

No ideas? Anyone? Somebody's gotta know about computers freezing up...

ddcurtis, Jan 19, 2010
  3. ddcurtis

tobwco

ddcurtis - I've been researching this problem for over a week and I'm finding a lot of cases of this all over different forums. From what I've read, most people suggest the same fixes but no one posts any results if the fixes work or not. I'm surprised from the lack of replies found on this site. There are a huge number of people reporting the same problem all over the web. Seems like Acer has a lemon on their hands with this unit failing. Of course the majority of warranties have expired.

I have the same problems you've stated. AOA150 freezes 1-15 minutes upon starting. I'll list what I've tired all w/o success.
    1. Formatted the hard drive.
    2. Reinstalled Windows XP Home.
    3 Updated all the way to SP3.
    4. Ran disc checker to search for bad sectors. none found
    5. Prevented everything from starting up upon start up.
    6. Installed the AA1 Fan control. No help.
    7. I've tried to run a RAM checker but cannot complete as the system freezes before completion. Suspect RAM is the problem. Thus the motherboard would need replacing.
    8. Disables anything from turning off in the power settings, screen saver, ect..
    9. Updated all drivers to the most current versions.
    10. Ran CC Cleaner to check and clean registry for any conflicts.
    11. Updated the Bios to latest version.
    At first I thought the problem was from the browser was locking up until I used the PC for a while not opening the browser. It will also lock up just sitting there idle. That is why I think it is a RAM Memory issue or other internal hardware issue.

I've priced motherboards on the web and most are coming in around $125 - $150. I'm not sure I want to try that as a fix or buy a new netbook for around $275 - $300. Next one will be an Asus, NOT an Acer. This is my daughters netbook, so it has to be a pink one.

tobwco, Mar 14, 2010
  4. ddcurtis

Nordmann

Mhm got the same problem :(

Seems there are a lot of unresolved freezing issues with the A150 when i search the forum...
    Got a A150L with 160GB HDD, i've directly installed winxp on it, in first it run well but then started to freeze
    randomly and the problem seems to increase lately, it freezes more often these days.

Of course every techi asks about details, but its really hard to provide details about a sporadically problem which comes and goes randomly.

What i've tried so far:
    -whole night of Memtest with stock ram (no errors, no freeze)
    -replacing 512MB Memory Module with 1GB (RAM Upgrade)
    -replacing stock HDD
    -Various BIOS Upgrades up to 3309
    -Software changes (WinXP stock/SP2/SP3, WinVista, Win7, Ubuntu)
    -Checking Heat not going up to 60 degree C, trying various fan controls, etc.

Still freezes randomly with every possible configuration i think of :roll:
    Freezes while browsing, freezes while staying idle, freezes while chatting

My guess would be a problem with mainboard or cpu (though cpu stress tests ran fine)
    Seeing all the other postings in the end i think its a manufacturing problem :(

Problem now is i've taken my acer apart a few times (for memory/hdd replacement) and its almost near warranty end :(

**edit**
    next up i try replacing the Atheros Wireless PCI-E mini Card with a intel Wifi 5100 draft-N
    I will keep you posted if its changing anything, its my last try, after this i've tried exchanging anything possible...

Nordmann, Mar 23, 2010
  5. ddcurtis

agmoraojr

Check this forum, there is a RAM compatability

agmoraojr, Apr 23, 2010
  6. ddcurtis

Swarvey Moderator

My two cents as a tech:

I see at least one of you has tried a Ubuntu install, but was this an actual installation? or were you running it live from a USB key or USB DVD-RW? Running it live will help us see if it's a problem with the HDD Controllers

Random results with Memtest (some successfull all-night scans, plus one frozen scan) tells me it could be a serious problem with either the chipset or the CPU. Both requiring a new mobo.

Does running with battery installed vs running solely on the AC adapter, vs running solely on battery make any difference? My old A150 had an issue with the charging circuit, wondering if there's any unstable voltages going thru the system causing the CPU/RAM to lock up, remembering they're very finicky when it comes to voltage supply. Also if I was seeing these symptoms in a desktop, one of the first places I'd check would be the power supply.

Swarvey, Apr 24, 2010
  7. ddcurtis

Nordmann

Replacing Wireless Module didnt bring any difference :(
    BUT it seems that various wireless driver versions result in different freezeless times (but could also be bad luck or just my personal feeling)

@agmoraojr
    could you describe this more precisely?
    I cant confirm any ram problems :(
    14hours of testing, passed 19times, no errors
    [​IMG]

@Swarvey
    It was a live Version running of a usb stick if i remember correctly i didnt want to delete my windows again.
    Good point with the adapter but it freezes with battery aswell with ac :(

Greetz,
    N0rd

Nordmann, Apr 24, 2010
  8. ddcurtis

Swarvey Moderator

Another question, will the system freeze up completly if left in the BIOS screen? i.e upon booting hit F2 to enter the BIOS and just leave it there...

After seeing some of those results, I'd like to see the hard drive controllers tested. Seagate have a program called "SeaTools". It's a bootable diagnostic utility that can check RAM, chipsets (i think), pretty sure it tests the controllers & the HDD's.

Has anyone obtained any temperature monitoring software that works with the A150? I used to use SpeedFan on my desktop, but not sure if it picks up on the appropriate circuitry to monitor the AAO. Would definately like to see what temperatures the Atom's reaching upon freeze time.

P.S Has anyone tried the Intel release of the drivers? or are you all expecting Acer's variants to operate properly? Personally I always go with the chipset manufacturers drivers/software over the OEM

Swarvey, Apr 25, 2010
  9. ddcurtis

Nordmann

No it only seems to freeze while running a OS, also DOS tools like memtest run as long as i leave it without any freezes
    I dont know which tools has special controller tests but i've already replaced the stock Seagate with a WesternDigital HDD

I'm using a1ctl for my aspire one, http://nodadev.wordpress.com/pc-projects/a1ctl/
    Temperature is totaly different, some times it freezes at 50C while doing nearly nothing, sometimes at high load with 75C, I cant see a relation between the temp. and the freezes at all

I'm fed up with trying drivers ;) tried stock xp drivers, tried from acer's ftp, tried stock win7 drivers, as said even linux freezes...

Nordmann, Apr 25, 2010
  10. ddcurtis

Swarvey Moderator

I don't mean testing / replacing the drive, but rather the integrated hardware on the motherboard known as the controller. It actually operates the drive, not part of it. So replacing the drive is irrevalent.
    I don't know all that much about the architecture of the Atom processor, but i have just been perving at a whitepaper for the N270 which makes mention of an "Auto Halt, Stop Grant Power" at a temperature of 70degrees celsius. Guessing this could mean its the safe shutdown temperature?. Even so, 75 to me seems a bit hot for a netbook CPU. Tried temporarily running without A1CTL?
    Default XP drivers are not necessarily the latest up-to-date Intel drivers, they may incorporate bugs. Acer's variants are in fact that, a Variant, where there's variables, there can be problems. I don't know enough about Linux to comment, except that I have tried installing Ubuntu on an Intel-based PC in the past and had some weird issues, like it not even knowing the integrated audio chip was there.

So if it runs OK in a "DOS" mode, or in the BIOS, it's pretty much limited to some form of software issue under XP / Linux that it can't cope with. Update the BIOS if you haven't already, and potentially try something like Vista or Win7 to see if the problem is still there. Best bet if you want to stick with XP, is to erase your primary partition and install XP from a disk, instead of the recovery disks. If you REALLY don't want to play with drivers anymore, try rebooting into Safe Mode and see what happens in there, with only essential drivers running.

Swarvey, Apr 26, 2010
  11. ddcurtis

mjkurtz

I have the same problem. My Acer model AOA150 locks up randomly and I have to power it off to recover. Bringing up the netbook in safe mode seems to be stable. I am currently running it from the BIOS to see if it locks in the BIOS.
    I have reloaded from the protected partition with no changes. Of course I ran all the virus checks including Avast. Defragged both the hard drive and the registry. used Revo-uninstaller to get rid of unnecessary stuff including registry and associated files. Used CCleaner to check out all I could.

I have not installed the fan software nor run a memory check. Just saw a YouTube on memory upgrade and found access to memory a bit strange. I was surprised to find nothing under the memory access door earlier. What Simm should i be using to upgrade and or troubleshoot?

mjkurtz, Jul 26, 2010
  12. ddcurtis

mjkurtz

My AOA150 freezes after a normal boot in a short time. I thought it was overheating and used a fan under the vents. No change. Reloaded XP from the protected partition with no change. Runs fine in the BIOS no freeze. Runs fine in safe mode with network. Worked 4 different antivirus packages till the netbook came back clean. Used revo-uninstaller to get rid of the junk, including default loaded junk. Used CCleaner to tune up the registry and look at everything. Defragged the hard drive.

Got to be a software problem. Suspect an incompatibility between OS and some driver. However when reloading from the protected partition I should have had the drivers that came with the load.

Sorry if this is a repeat. My previous post seems to be missing.

Since I have another AOA150 bought at the same time, is there a way to get the protected partition onto an external DVD? I want to use it to reload from a working A150.
    Thanks, Mike

mjkurtz, Jul 27, 2010
Ask a Question