Hello all!!.. I have a noob question :), Help me out :D

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Blloo, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Blloo

Blloo

I hope everyone's Doing great!

I Just got my AA1 yesterday and I'm finding out alot about the OS since it's my first Linux system and I didn't want to change to XP because I'm curious about this one :D

I want to execute a .sh file located in a folder I created called bin under /home/user/bin/ using chmod, and it looks like this chmod +x cl.sh where cl.sh is the file which is located inside /bin/, Only problem is, I really don't know where to execute chmod x+ cl.sh...I tried terminal, xterm and the run window (alt+f2) and on both terminal and xterm it kept telling me that cl.sh doesn't exist and will do nothing after I hit run in the run window, Mainly my question is how do I use chmod ?? and did I create the /bin/cl.sh/ the wrong way ?? ( I created it through the My files browser which is located under files on the AA1 menu)..I would also like to note that I tried all the above in both running cl.sh as a text file and as an executable (after i found out the option under it's properties) and I got the same results. Incase you're wondering, The script is about changing the Typing language between Arabic and English.

Blloo, Sep 9, 2008
  2. Blloo

rbil

Use ALT-F2 to open a terminal, by typing "terminal" (without quotes).

Then navigate to where the file is:

cd ~/bin
    chmod +x cl.sh

To run the script, you can do either (again within a terminal):

sh cl.sh

or

./cl.sh

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 10, 2008
  3. Blloo

Blloo

Thanks !!