Hello & a bit of

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ddd, Oct 19, 2008.

1. ddd

ddd

help, if you have the time.

I bought an AA1 yesterday running Linpus. Now, I've been browsing this forum for ages, now finally registered & here's what I'd like to do;

Install & run windows xp

Thats it, plain & simple, I thought I'd give this version of Linux the benefit of doubt BUT I just cannot work with it so I'm going to have to wave the white flag of surrender & ask you kind folk for help to remove Linpus & go back to being another Gates clone.

Any help please?

Many thanks
    Dave

ddd, Oct 19, 2008
  2. ddd

ddd

As an addition,
    I've just d/l these drivers for xp;

VGA_Intel_v.6.14.10.4926
    WLAN_Atheros_v7.6.0.224
    Touchpad_Synaptics_v.11.1.4
    Launch_Manager_v2.0.04
    Lan_Realtek_v.5.602.619.2003
    CCD_SUYIN_V.1.0.1.3
    Chipset_Intel_v.8.3.0.1018
    CardRdr_Jmicron_v.1.00.16.01
    CCD_LiteOn_v.5.8.33.1
    3G
    Audio_Realtek_v.5.10.0.5628

Now what to do?

I have capability of ext dvd/hdd
    So would I just install xp over Linpus or have to format the hdd?

Basically the other problems I find are;
    a. setting up access to shared peripherals in linpus.
    b. initial network setup (I currently have 1 desktop, 2 laptops, 2 shared printers, 1 shared HDD)
    c. security of linpus (i.e. if using in a public place)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Dave

ddd, Oct 19, 2008
  3. ddd

melhiore

If you have an access to external CD/DVD then installation is piece of cake. All you have to do is put CD and run AA1, in BIOS change the boot mode to CD and voila...

Personally I'm using Windows 2000 ATM due to lower requirements. As a netbook system is fine as yet. Most of the drivers is already implemented in SP4 which you have to slipstream before installation. Drivers for XP also works fine...

I would like you to go thought this topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57

All your question has been already answered...

melhiore, Oct 19, 2008
  4. ddd

ddd

Thanks for your input, please explain the slipstream process?

ddd, Oct 19, 2008
  5. ddd

melhiore

Slipstream is actually adding Service Pack files and driver to installer CD. Mostly people using nLite software - very simple, straight forward stuff. You have to have prepared Service Pack file and copy of your system CD in separate folder. Software will guide you through all process:

That's software: http://www.nliteos.com/

Service Pack files you can download from Microsoft website, drivers you already have. Remember one think only. Slipstream only appropriate drivers - mostly 32bit, WinXP system...

melhiore, Oct 19, 2008
  6. ddd

ddd

So far so good.
    Installed Xp pro SP2 from external cd.

Had to delete existing partition before windows could install.

Once XP installed I then installed previously downloaded drivers.

All working fine - EVEN the light for the wifi is working (seen somewhere else that others cannot get it to work).

Happy chap now.

In conclusion, I can say that, I have no complaints with Linpus Linux only my shortcomings that I didn't know how it worked.
    Like most people I prefer a quick out of the box solution without having to mess around with code.

Now it's time to get playing with the AAone.

One last question - in windows is it possible to sort the fan as it constantly spins, noisily :)

ddd, Oct 19, 2008
  7. ddd

zongamin

Good to hear you got it sorted - I was just wondering what it was about linpus that you were having trouble with?

For me its the perfect 'out of the box' solution - turn it on, five minute set up, connect to your wireless hub and enable 'advanced mode' (a 1 minute job) and you're there - no messing about with antivirus and the other associated Windows annoyances.

zongamin, Oct 19, 2008
  8. ddd

ddd

Hi,
    setting up the connection to the hub was an absolute nightmare. I only managed to connect to the hub when I disabled the ALL security & restarted the router.

As for connecting to all my peripherals - forget it.

What I have found, looking at the various step by step guides that are posted all over the net is that they are written by users who are familiar with Linux (whichever version) & they naturally think that others know the coding. It would be far simpler for most people if the majority of the guides were written in laymans terms.

As previously stated, I'm not knocking Linux due to my shortcomings, I just couldn't get on with it.

The help on here has been invaluable, definatley sticking with this forum.
    Spot on.

ddd, Oct 19, 2008
Ask a Question