Heatsink mod with perforations

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Salez, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Salez

Salez

Hello, I´m sorry I don't speak english.

My idea is to make perforations so that the fan can take fresh air.

I made the design of the preforaciones with colrelDraw
    [​IMG]

It sticks the design with gule and to the perforations I did them using mototool

[​IMG]

Late

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the Heatsink it places 5mm within the fan to be able to cool but the processor

[​IMG]

The end
    [​IMG]

Befor my processor 72°C after stays in 55°C with room temperature of 25°C :mrgreen:

Salez, Nov 24, 2008
  2. Salez

rQvsnaps

I cut out the entire round area and added a grill, also filled up the heatsink with cooltek memory heatsinks like theese http://www.kmelektronik.de/root/picp/18521.jpg

Getting around the same max temps :) and a very silent aaone

rQvsnaps, Nov 24, 2008
  3. Salez

Frojd

You are, though, disabling virtually all cooling of the other components over which the air would normally travel. Now I don't know if it is important to cool the other components too in the AAO, but you should watch for any "hot spots"...

Frojd, Nov 24, 2008
  4. Salez

hobbang819

could you share the template that you used?

hobbang819, Nov 25, 2008
  5. Salez

justme81

Hi!

The perforations is a neat add to the normal cooling mod. I actually stumbled upon one early review of acer aspire one, where there is a air venting grill in that exact position.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/newgall ... 617&img=16

It's weird they decided to exclude those in the final version. They surely would sell even more if Acer Aspire One's were cool and quiet from the box, instead of us users needing to mod them afterhand with additional coolers, perforations and control software. Most people don't do anything to their One anyhow, just curse the whining fan.

Very nice mod!

justme81, Dec 9, 2008
  6. Salez

SamiSmiley

I done this mod too. Before mod i have 58° in fullscreen of WMP11 some music and visualization, now i have 48°. I removed that tempfoot and put thermal grease.

SamiSmiley, Dec 13, 2008
  7. Salez

Chaos

scaled to size (1.75 inches in a circle) heres a rough template for anyone who wants to try this. i took the picture he uploaded, cut out just the circle, and put black marks where his drill holes were. you should be able to just print this on a sheet of paper and cut it out and it should match up the same way his did in those pictures. i'll be drilling holes later today :)

[​IMG]

EDIT: my bad, the old picture was off. the scale is actually 1.625 inches. i've uploaded a new template. i just did this mod and i LOVE how it turned out. i didnt glue the paper to the plastic like the OP did. i actually taped it to the inside, and used a center-punch to mark the holes, and then took the paper away. used a 1/8 inch drill bit and a drill press to drill out the holes. i'll upload pictures later if i have time.

Chaos, Feb 7, 2009
  8. Salez

Chaos

and as promised, heres 2 pictures of my mod:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chaos, Feb 8, 2009
  9. Salez

simba

Nice work Salez, im surprized this thread hasnt got much more attention than it deserves.

did you fabricate the heatsink yourself?

simba, Mar 16, 2009
Ask a Question