Headphone jack works, speakers don't

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by gyges2006, Oct 6, 2008.

1. gyges2006

gyges2006

Hi everyone, I just received my new AA1 150 (120 gb harddrive) and man is it sweeet. Anyways it came pre-installed with Linpus, so I wiped it and installed WinXP pro (SP2 + required drivers).

I tried to search my problem on the forum but didn't find it, so...

The speakers appear to not be working, and I think it is a hardware/connection problem as I get sound through my headphones.

I still have 7 days to return it to the store, but if it's a loose connection then I don't mind opening it up to see; however I don't want to potentially break something while opening it and thus void warranty, and I don't really want to return it as I have my winxp setup exactly how I like it (the store is also 30 km away :( )

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there any way that it might actually be a driver issue, and not a hardware issue? I appreciate the help, thanks.

gyges2006, Oct 6, 2008
  2. gyges2006

karona

You have tried the simple things first, such as toggling Fn+F8, which switches the internal speakers on?

;)

Keith

karona, Oct 7, 2008
  3. gyges2006

makstake

My problem is somewhat similar...

I have an A150 with the OEM Windows XP installed. The speaker sound skips a lot when played from the speaker, but when using headphones it works just fine. It seems that the problem is not as bad when I lower the volume to about half full or lower. I've tried removing and installing the drivers a few times but that didn't help.

I hope there is a DIY solution (that doesn't need a solderng gun) for this. I just would't want to send a few day old AA1 to service...

Thanks.

makstake, Oct 7, 2008
  4. gyges2006

kirkevonphilly

-

kirkevonphilly, Oct 7, 2008
  5. gyges2006

gyges2006

So I opened up my AA1 today, and found that the speakers weren't even hooked up to the speaker port! The cable was beneath the motherboard! So I connected it and now the speakers work (very clear, no hissing like reports above).

It also appears as though my AA1 was opened before (I bought it new from a store), although I may just be paranoid. Personally I don't care, as I was able to install 1 gb extra ram; but honestly if I was a general user and not very experienced with computer hardware I would not be very pleased. Again I am unsure whether Acer forgot to connect the cable, or if someone else did.

gyges2006, Oct 7, 2008
  6. gyges2006

kirkevonphilly

Awesome, glad to hear it.

Unfortunately for me, mine is connected and the hopeful FN+F8 combo only mutes and unmutes. Whomp whomp.

kirkevonphilly, Oct 8, 2008
  7. gyges2006

makstake

I fixed my problem by enabling 'Limited Output' from Realtek HD Audio Manager's Mixer settings. Max volume is a little, lower though, but it's way better than all that annoying skipping.

[​IMG]

makstake, Oct 10, 2008
  8. gyges2006

nmesisca

hi guys,
    I m experiencing something similar .. only the right channel of my audio actually works.
    The left channel is completely mute.
    Tested with the Sound Manager and its obvious its muted.
    Has anyone else experienced this? I will be opening it up tonight/tomorrow.. hope to see some misconnection, but im not too hopeful.
    I also already tried different drivers, from Acer and Realtek too, but with realtek drivers, my mic was muted too.
    Acer drivers seem to fix the mike but not the left channel.
    Any help please?

thanks
    N

nmesisca, Oct 10, 2008
  9. gyges2006

kirkevonphilly

-

kirkevonphilly, Oct 12, 2008
  10. gyges2006

woody188

Mine would cut out speakers at random, then they would work again after a reboot, sometimes...it was weird because they would just get really quiet, like it was a bad amp. The headphone jack always worked. These A1's are buggy as cuss. Speakers stop working. WiFi cards and webcams disappear and refuse to work. I wouldn't recommend an A1 to anyone at this point. I have 300+ clients that I advise on hardware purchases. Acer, you screwed the pooch on this unit. :evil: I took mine back after 48 hours for a full refund. That will be the only way to get Acer's attention. Demand a REFUND!

woody188, Oct 14, 2008
  11. gyges2006

kirkevonphilly

I'm happy to say at this point my headphone jack works quite fine now. The hiss disappeared the other day out of the blue and the "Limit Output" setting shown in the picture above definitely allows me to play music at a volume loud enough to block out "Train Noise."

I wish I wasn't so lazy to find out what Newegg's return policy is. Oh wait...that warranty....

kirkevonphilly, Oct 17, 2008
  12. gyges2006

scutter

Hi Everybody!
    Has anyone had any problems with getting sound from watching U Tube videos?
    Normally my sound is fine and can even listen to online radio stations, but no sound from U Tube :eek: ???
    {:mad:>

120gb hard drive, 1gb RAM, Original Linpus installed

scutter, Oct 26, 2008
  13. gyges2006

warburd

Similar to you guys but the realtek drivers wont even detect the card or finish installing correctly (tried 2 different downloads) :(

Running on a 110-Ab, Linpus was fine for the sound but XP doesn't work at all. Just to make sure that I hadn't had a bizzar coincidental hardware failure I tried sticking Vista on and the sound worked fine... tried reloading XP and the same problem :?

I'll be watching your progress with much interest

W

warburd, Oct 27, 2008
  14. gyges2006

scutter

:?: U Tube seems to be working fine now? :?:

scutter, Oct 27, 2008
  15. gyges2006

baldyman77

hey people i to am having a similar problem,i can hear my music in my media player but when i go online therte is no sound from any websites including youtube and mousebreaker etc iam using aao with linpus linux lite.my headphone jack and speakers work fine offline but zero when online. :?

baldyman77, Apr 20, 2009
  16. gyges2006

NORMAN85

i wonder how this happened but my speakers sounded blown, is the limit output set to (on) from the factory or did i blow the speakers im thankful to find this because it sounds normal again im just wondering how that happened ...any thoughts just upgraded ram 2 days ago no problems till this happened just a few hours ago ...

NORMAN85, Jun 10, 2009
Ask a Question