HDD Upgrade advice needed please.

Discussion in 'Storage' started by flappa, Jul 16, 2011.

1. flappa

flappa

Hey guys i have an ACER ASPIRE ONE A110 ZG5 512mb ram 8gig HDD came with limpus now has windows xp, i have just bought 1 gig of ram from ebay, and i am looking for some way to expand the HDD so i can install windows 7 on this little lappy, dont want anything massive, just enough to install windows 7 and little extra for programs, problem is i dont even know if you can upgrade the HDD on this model, so i am here for some advice.

Also one other thing, there is allot of heating coming from this thing, is that normal ?

Thanks for reading.

flappa, Jul 16, 2011
  2. flappa

Swarvey Moderator

Your model AAO doesn't have a conventional HDD, instead it has an 8Gb SSD (Solid State Drive). Which is essentially a Flash Drive. As far as I'm aware there are mods out there to convert the SSD to HDD. Just do a quick search on SSD HDD Conversion and you should find the information you're looking for. It's probably not the easiest thing for a novice to do, but I wouldn't say impossible either.

Swarvey, Jul 16, 2011
  3. flappa

flappa

will do thanks for the info.

flappa, Jul 16, 2011
  4. flappa

atarione

hello the A110 8GB SSD drive uses a Zif interface

what i did with mine when the orig SSD died (2mos out of warranty ;) ) was replace it with one of the SuperTalent drop in AAO replacement SSD's there are other options but i'm quite pleased with the supertalent and it was a straight drop in replacement so it was easy (ish) be careful and don't break the little tiny connector or you will be ****ed but it wasn't hard to do just took patience.

oh and I can't recommend a quality precision screwdriver set when you go to do the tear down...in my case I had a cheap set and I simply couldn't get the little screws holding the AAO together to budge. Went and got a decent set of precision screwdrivers and the screws where out with ease.

anyways
    32GB
    http://www.amazon.com/Super-Talent-1-3- ... B001H14G4M

or 16GB
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HR ... 4C9Z95C4JD

you might also check ebay for better pricing if you want but either of those will work (the 16 which i bought cause i got it hella cheap on ebay and I didn't want to spent a ton....requires a bit of care w/ win7 installed as it fills up pretty fast..but it works, you probably will want to just figure on getting SD cards for storage of your files if you go the 16GB route.)

atarione, Jul 23, 2011
  5. flappa

theo54au

I have Tiny windows 7 installed on my 8gb SSD drive. It's fast, easy to install, does everything you need, and all other files are installed on the SD card.
    Tiny7 only uses 2gb or so. No need to upgrade your HD.

theo54au, Jul 28, 2011
Ask a Question