HDD Replacement on X540SA and now screen is black on boot

Discussion in 'Asus' started by thomastierney, Jun 29, 2021.

1. thomastierney

thomastierney

Hey all,

I recently upgraded the hard drive to an SSD, once this was done I no longer have a screen on boot, it's just black. When I reinstall the old hard drive, everything works as it should. I connected the computer to an external monitor via the HDMI port and was able to install windows on the new SSD hard drive.. am I missing something here? is the laptop married to the drive?

thanks!

thomastierney, Jun 29, 2021
  2. thomastierney

RaidenX

Were both the drives SSD? If so, then it should have be an "apples to apples" HD change.

RaidenX, Aug 9, 2021
  3. thomastierney

thomastierney

Hey RaidenX,
    thanks for responding - no, this was an upgrade to an SSD. As I look at this it turns out that the Splash Screen is no longer appearing on the laptop monitor, only on the external monitor via HDMI Port, however, when it gets past the splash screen it appears on the laptop monitor as it should. So, the splash screen and bios will appear on the external monitor only, the OS appears on both. I don't normally use an external monitor with this laptop so would like to figure out what the issue is...

Thanks!

thomastierney, Aug 26, 2021
  4. thomastierney

RaidenX

I would try updating the BIOS of the laptop. And I would try at least a couple different video driver versions to see if they produce a different result.

Have you tried testing whether in Windows duplicating the display, versus secondary display only, makes a difference?

RaidenX, Sep 1, 2021
Ask a Question