HDD/BIOS password 8 character limit

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by d250user16, Dec 15, 2010.

1. d250user16

d250user16

So I decided to test the BIOS/HDD password functionality on my Acer Aspire D250 netbook and ended up finding myself locked out of it. I typed in a 11 character password without realizing there was a 8 character limit. I've since tried every combination I can think of, and have even flashed the BIOS in recovery mode, but that still won't clear the BIOS password. Even if I get to the BIOS, the HDD password is still there.

The password I used is very similar to this one but with the letters changed (the # and , are the same, as are the capital placements):

Code:
    eVo45#,Mope
    I've tried the first eight letters, the last eight letters, the last three letters first followed by 45#,M (from the example), the # as a 3 and the , as a <, and I've even tried those combinations as all capitals.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm guessing the problem is the # and , symbols. It's worth noting that I've since stripped all the screws on the back of the netbook and because of that I won't attempt any short circuiting or replacing the hardrive. It's far too aggravating. I'm just looking for the correct combination, and if I don't find it there's a good chance Mr. Netbook will be set on fire and drove over multiple times until I get another to replace him.

d250user16, Dec 15, 2010
  2. d250user16

Guest Guest

I've just won an Acer AOA150 in an auction and one of the problems I had was I couldn't get into the BIOS by pressing the F2 key. It would not let me in!!!

I decided to remove the cmos battery...articles that I had read appeared to say if the battery is removed for about an hour, it will clear the settings including the password.

It was a success, I can now change BIOS settings, but cannot remove the Primary HDD Password!

Good Luck!

Guest, Jan 21, 2011
Ask a Question