Having Problem Installing Wine on AspireOne

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JP Wireless, Feb 6, 2009.

1. JP Wireless

JP Wireless

I have gone through all the command for beginners but cannot figure out which i should use to install wine on my Aspire One so as to enable me run Windows application like Winbox from Mikrotik, etc. Pls i need urgent help, i can't monitor my network since i left town to this remote station and need to do some administration using winbox.

:cool: :!: :idea:

JP Wireless, Feb 6, 2009
  2. JP Wireless

libssd

libssd, Feb 6, 2009
  3. JP Wireless

libssd

JP,

Two other suggestions:

1. Before making any further changes to your AA1, create a backup USB and a recovery USB. The latter is critical for returning your AA1 to its "out of the box" state if you screw something up. The Macles* site has good instructions for both.

2. You don't say how you tried to install WINE, and from where you got it. Assuming that you have activated the right-click from desktop shortcut to the popup menu, use it, scroll down to "System" and choose the first option "Add/Remove Software." You will be prompted for root password; if you haven't already changed root's password, see elsewhere in this forum for instructions for instructions.

Once you have the Add/Remove software package manager running, click on the Search tab, then the "Available packages" radio button, and search for wine. You will probably want to install:

wine-docs 1.0-1.fc8noarch - Documentation for wine
    wine - 1.1.9-2.fc8.i386 - A Windows 16/32/64 bit emulator

libssd, Feb 6, 2009
  4. JP Wireless

JP Wireless

Thanks,

I did all these but i was hoping to see .exe like or .bin like file, what i saw was a list of file wine-nas, wine-esd etc. let me install them as see if that solve my problem. I will let you know now! i also downloaded GoogleEarthLinux.bin but search cannot see it. how do i install it, i hope it does not require wine since it is .bin?

JP Wireless, Feb 6, 2009
  5. JP Wireless

JP Wireless

hi libssd

Thanks to you all, the winbox is working now. I am so happy i have full access to my network now.

But how about the GoogleEarthLinux.bin installation? Any idea?

Grateful!

JP Wireless, Feb 6, 2009
  6. JP Wireless

Dakota

Hi All -

I am a total newbie to Linux and have so far been completely unable to install Wine, so I wonder if someone can help.

I have tried installing via the Terminal command (sudo yum intall wine) and through the software installation in the advanced menu, both to no avail. The sudo yum method results in messages confirming download of Wine and then nothing further. The advanced menu download goes through the dependencies, etc. and then fails at the end with a bug message. Either way, I cannot work it out.

The weird thing is that I have had no trouble setting up the advanced menu, installing Skype, Firefox 3, etc. and am just drawing a blank with Wine. I have searched extensively and cannot even see anyone else reporting any problems installing Wine, however new they are to Linux. Any problems there are seem to be in running Windows apps Wine, after installing it.

What am I doing wrong??? Any tips gratefully received!

Dakota, May 4, 2009
  7. JP Wireless

solpuerto

Hi Dakota

I recently installed Wine by entering sudo yum -y install wine into Terminal.

You say you have tried this method and it confirmed download of wine but then nothing. Not sure of what you mean by this but using the advanced menu on my Aspire Wine appears under Other. If it is there click on Wine File and it should open.

If it is not there open file manager and use the search facility to search the file system for wine, at least you will then know if it has been installed anywhere.

Best wishes.

solpuerto, May 4, 2009
  8. JP Wireless

groeswenphil

Add/Remove software>Search>Type in "WINE" and click search.

That should get you WINE.

Sadly, that's the easy bit.
    To get a Windows program to run, you have to get it into the machine. If you can download an .exe file, right click on it and pick, "Open with WINE".
    If it's on a CD, then..............this is waht I do.....others might have a better way.............copy all of the files onto a USB doohdad.
    Then, plug that in to your Aspire and again, find the .exe file and pick "Open with WINE".

You should then find your Windows software in the OTHER section if you've enabled your right click.
    Phil

groeswenphil, May 4, 2009
  9. JP Wireless

Dakota

Hi solpuerto & groeswenphil -

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, still not working for me...

Using sudo yum -y install wine in Terminal produces this:

"Transaction Summary
    =============================================================================
    Install 11 Package(s)
    Update 0 Package(s)
    Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 11 M
    Downloading Packages:
    (1/4): wine-twain-0.9.47- 100% |=========================| 0 B 00:00
    [user@localhost ~]$ "

Afterward, no trace of Wine in the advanced menu or under installed software following a file system search.

Not at all easy for me so far! Have tried that method and get as far as this:

"Exception Occurred:

An unhandled exception has occurred. This is most likely a bug. Please save the crash dump and file a detailed bug report against pirut at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla.

Component: pirut
    Summary: TBfe7764cc grabber.py:1197:_do_grab:IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error: u'//var/cache/yum/fedora/packages/wine-twain-0.9.47-1.fc8.i386.rpm'

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 363, in _apply
    output = self.applyChanges(self.mainwin)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/__init__.py", line 802, in applyChanges
    dlpkgs = self.downloadPackages(mainwin)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/__init__.py", line 500, in downloadPackages
    probs = self.downloadPkgs(dlpkgs)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 891, in downloadPkgs
    cache=po.repo.http_caching != 'none',
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 640, in getPackage
    cache=cache
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 618, in _getFile
    http_headers=headers,
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/urlgrabber/mirror.py", line 412, in urlgrab
    return self._mirror_try(func, url, kw)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/urlgrabber/mirror.py", line 398, in _mirror_try
    return func_ref( *(fullurl,), **kwargs )
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line 928, in urlgrab
    return self._retry(opts, retryfunc, url, filename)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line 846, in _retry
    r = apply(func, (opts,) + args, {})
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line 916, in retryfunc
    fo._do_grab()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line 1197, in _do_grab
    else: new_fo = open(self.filename, 'wb')
    IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error: u'//var/cache/yum/fedora/packages/wine-twain-0.9.47-1.fc8.i386.rpm'

Local variables in innermost frame:
    self: <urlgrabber.grabber.URLGrabberFileObject instance at 0x9ff1f6c>"

Really, I have tried both methods and everything I can think of, but it's not working. Any further ideas, anyone?

Many thanks!

Dakota, May 4, 2009
  10. JP Wireless

solpuerto

Hi Dakota

It looks like you are trying to install an older version. The one I have is 1.1.9. You should be seeing 1.1.9-2.fc8.i386.

Your repositories may be out of date so type the following into Terminal,

sudo yum install fedora-release

Then try again

Acer do not keep them up to date and remember Linpus is based on Fedora.

solpuerto, May 4, 2009
  11. JP Wireless

Dakota

Hi solpuerto -

Thanks again. Looks like I had Fedora 8.3 installed. Update seems to be to 8.6:

"[Total download size: 31 k
    Is this ok [y/N]: y
    Downloading Packages:
    (1/1): fedora-release-8-6 100% |=========================| 31 kB 00:00
    warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2a6fd2

Public key for fedora-release-8-6.transition.noarch.rpm is not installed
    [user@localhost ~]$
    "/i]

Wine install after that:

"Transaction Summary
    =============================================================================
    Install 11 Package(s)
    Update 0 Package(s)
    Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 11 M
    Is this ok [y/N]: y
    Downloading Packages:
    (1/4): wine-twain-0.9.47- 100% |=========================| 0 B 00:00
    [user@localhost ~]$
    "

Still not installed or showing anywhere!!!

Thanks again, in advance...

Dakota

Dakota, May 4, 2009
  12. JP Wireless

Cobus

Hi guys, a simple question (I think). I want to run Statistica 8 which is a windows only program. How can I get it to work on the Linux Aspire? Can Wine do it, or will Wine only run apps designed for it? I feel so stupid.

Cobus, May 5, 2009
  13. JP Wireless

solpuerto

Hi Dakota

I have been using google to look at the warning you are getting about keys and find that it is rather a common occurance but as yet have not found an answer on how to sort it out probably as I do not understand most of it.

When you tried to install it using the Add/Remove facility what wine package ,if any was available?

Can you open the add/remove package manager again and search for wine under All Packages. I find 17 entries,
    12 contain 1.1.9-2.fc8.i386.
    There are 2 that contain 0.9.47-1.fc8.i386
    There are 2 that contain Tellico, I have no idea what they are.
    One that is the Wine documentation 1.0-1 etc.

Are any of the above visible to you and are any ticked. If the 0.9.47 are ticked, remove the tick and apply. This should remove the packages from your system.
    Then if any of the 1.1.9-2 are not ticked then tick them and apply.

can you post back what you find?

solpuerto, May 5, 2009
  14. JP Wireless

Dakota

Hello again, Solpuerto -

Muchas gracias for your continued, patient help!

So... In package manager, none is selected and all are 0.9.47-1.fc8.i386. I also have the Tellico apps, but have absolutely none of the Wine 1.1.9-2.fc8.i386 apps.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Thanks again!

Dakota, May 5, 2009
  15. JP Wireless

solpuerto

Hi Dakota

I am not sure what is going on with your system. I note you have installed various other packages, did you install them via yum or have any problems?
    I do not think you have been able to install the Fedora release either due to this message,
    rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2a6fd2

I have looked on the Fedora Forum and there are certainly many references to NOKEY. One had a link to this site,
    http://www.fedorafaq.org/#gpgsig
    There is a Question and Answer about it with reference to gpg signature when using yum. Now I have no idea what it all means just that this may be worth trying.

I do not know if you have a good backup/restore system in place other than the Acer recovery disc that only restores factory setting. I would not like to see you having to rebuild your system because of something I have suggested.
    If you want a tried and tested method look at macles blog on this site,
    http://macles.blogspot.com/search?updat ... -results=7
    I have used it several times and found it very reassuring.

I am afraid I have no other suggestions at this point and hope you get it resolved.
    Best wishes

solpuerto, May 6, 2009
Ask a Question