have International Keyboard, would prefer US Keyboard

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by brentashley, Jul 20, 2008.

1. brentashley

brycej

I spoke with a nice guy at Acer Canada Technical support and he said that to the best of his knowledge all Acer Aspire Ones shipped to Canada have the International keyboard. He had no opinion as to why this was done. He agreed that buying one in the US would be a good alternative.

brycej, Jul 22, 2008
  2. brentashley

jeromlenz

I know one good reason: if you start telling on the forum you had your keyboard replaced, they'll have to replace all Canadian keyboards!!? :lol:
    So they messed a bit with this kb layout and now it's too late to go back...
    (Maybe next shipment to Canada won't include this international keyboard anymore?)
    Typical discussion about early adopters used as "experimenting ground" for first revision products. Are we Guinea pigs!? :roll:
    But I agree they could get our support good "word of mouth" quite easily with few commercial efforts towards "power-users"/evangelists! ;)

jeromlenz, Jul 22, 2008
  3. brentashley

skateasian

It's so cuuuuute! I love the green. hehe. if the left shift were bigger I'd totally trade you my keyboard.

skateasian, Jul 24, 2008
  4. brentashley

brycej

I contacted TigerDirect.ca as they have pictures of the Aspire One with the US keyboard. They replied that the pictures are just copied from their US site and that they will be shipping International keyboard only.

brycej, Jul 25, 2008
  5. brentashley

Strawberry Field

I had referred Acer guys to this POST and they replied;

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I guess I still haven't made our standpoint clear. The unit you purchased came with an international keyboard. We cannot replace that keyboard with a US keyboard since that is not what shipped on your unit. There are units that come with a US keyboard. If one of those customers wanted an international keyboard, we could not replace their US keyboard with an international keyboard. The link you provided is from a user who apparently purchased this keyboard from somewhere else. It did not come from Acer. There are two reasons I know it didn't come from Acer. First reason, we do not view the keyboard as a user replaceable part therefore that part would not be sold to a customer whose computer was still under warranty. Second reason, as I stated above, the original keyboard was not a US
    keyboard therefore we would not have sold them a part that is not what was originally installed. The customer in that forum most likely purchased the part from somewhere else and replaced it themselves. You are free to do this if you wish but please be aware, if any accidental damage is caused the warranty will not cover it. If for any reason the unit has to come in for repair, there is a very real possibility the technicians will see that non OEM keyboard and replace it with the original international keyboard.

If you would still like to discuss this matter further, you will need to call in and speak to technical support. You may contact Acer Technical Support at 1-800-816-2237 Mon-Fri 7am-9pm CST and Sat-Sun 8am-5pm CST excluding holidays. Currently we are experiencing high call volume, so please expect your hold time to be longer than normal. It will help to expedite your call if you have the following information available in front of you when you call in: Your contact information, physical shipping address (no PO boxes are accepted), your Acer product.

Respectfully,
    Acer America
    Online Technical Support
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally understand what they are saying and their circumstance, but it is too shame No3. Computer Sales Company in America didn't even try to provide any option the customer could choose at all. Oh well.I don't really want to watse my time with that unreliable custoemr service any more, so I decided to go with Sharp Key http://www.randyrants.com/2006/07/sharpkeys_211.html to re-assign the stupid slash key between left shift and Z to Left shift.

It is quite simple registry hacking and no memory allocated program left on my system.

Strawberry Field, Jul 26, 2008
  6. brentashley

osdude

strawberry, what color is AA1? If it's blue, we might need to talk :D

osdude, Jul 26, 2008
  7. brentashley

brentashley

Replace "we could not" with "we are not willing to". Of course you COULD, you ridiculous pillocks, you are simply unwilling to do what is obviously a simple thing to do if you actually care to satisfy the will of your customers. Go ahead and charge me a million fucking dollars for the convenience of doing it, but don't tell me it's goddam impossible to do, because you're lying. Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong. It would simply require an exception to your internal process. Is Acer not an ISO 900x company? Does exception management not exist?

I can live with it as it is, I could replace it if a replacement were available, I don't care if it would affect the warranty.

Of course it came from Acer - what, you think I've got nothing better to do than to make up a story how I got a stupid crappy keyboard layout by somehow finding an ersatz replacement within the first month of a product's lifecycle hoping that I can fool you into thinking you need to give me another keyboard? I bought my machine from a reputable Canadian Acer dealer. It came with this stupid neither-chalk-nor-cheese keyboard. Don't you tell me it didn't come from you, you officious twat. You don't have the information available to you to come to that conclusion. By jumping to your bogus conclusion you are confirming your lack of credibility.

You have two choices. #1 is to admit that this response was ill-considered, #2 to continue to be boneheaded and tell us we're all fucking idiots for not being able to comprehend the inflexibility of your policy and not only lose our custom but to earn our lasting disdain and derision.

Honestly, Acer, you're digging a deep hole. I got a keyboard that I preferred not to get. I stated my case. By insisting that I didn't and that I must have replaced it myself, you're opening yourselves up to a monumental amount of ridicule.

brentashley, Jul 26, 2008
  8. brentashley

Wolfgang

You mean to tell me Canadians aren't like that :shock:

Wolfgang, Jul 26, 2008
  9. brentashley

brycej

Here is what Acer Canada sales has to say about the keyboard. If the first photo in this post is correct, and I assume that it is, they have a problem counting as that keyboard has 85 keys. I will check out what Staples has on display but if it is that keyboard I will not be choosing Acer in Canada...maybe the US.

Hello,

The Aspire One models sold in Canada come with a bilingual (EN/FR) 84 key keyboard.

One of our retailers - Staples should now have this product on display for you to view before purchasing.

Thank you for choosing Acer

Canada-Sales

brycej, Jul 30, 2008
  10. brentashley

ineedaname

Bleh I too wish that my A1 had a US keyboard instead of international.

Although I am starting 2 get used 2 it a bit. The most annoying part is the very small left shift key as that's the one i use most. I keep typing "\" instead of shift.

I hardly look @ my keyboard but when I do there's all this green crap everywhere that I'm never going to use. I wish they did more research b4 selling international keyboards outside of Quebec.

ineedaname, Aug 2, 2008
  11. brentashley

IslandBookworm

I sometimes type in Spanish and French so I'm looking forward to the international keyboard. My desktop keyboard is already mapped multilingual but I might have to get an international keyboard for it so I don't get confused switching back and forth. That mu key will be very handy for biologists and other scientists.

IslandBookworm, Aug 7, 2008
  12. brentashley

sterckx

Is there no way to pull the keys out and swap them around like on a desktop keyboard?
    I've gotten a QWERTY-keyboard, while I'm used to typing on an AZERTY-keyboard and I don't want to force anything if I don't know it'll work :D

sterckx, Sep 2, 2008
  13. brentashley

brentashley

brentashley, Nov 26, 2008
Ask a Question