Have a 532h - Go to 533 or 521?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by bluevolume, Sep 30, 2010.

1. bluevolume

bluevolume

I have a 532h and I really like it (its my 3rd AAO). But, I'm getting the itch for a new machine and I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. (Or maybe to just stick with what I have).

The 533 seems like a pretty minor upgrade; DDR3 memory and 1.8GHz. Aside from that I think they are the same machine. Is there much of a jump here? I'm very in-tune with my machines and I'd notice even a small improvement in performance. if anyone has compared these models I'd really like some insight.

The 521, on the other hand, is a very different machine. I like the processor, and especially the ATI GPU, and having the HDMI port would be really cool (though I doubt I would use it much). I'm concerned with the battery life though, as that is one of the things I really like about my 532h. I'm afraid that I'd be losing the greatest aspect of a netbook to gain some performance.

Anyone want to chime in on this one? I'd like to just get a discussion going and see what fellow AAO'ers think about the upgrade path.

bluevolume, Sep 30, 2010
  2. bluevolume

iamajai

I bought a 532h and used it for a week before returning it for a 521. The 532h just felt sluggish and really left me wanting something faster and more responsive.

I am currently getting around 5 hours out of the battery and have gone through and undervolted the processor using K10stat to eek a bit more battery life, but mostly to decrease the fan speed which was a bit annoying. I also did a 2GB RAM upgrade.

The performance is really night and day compared to an Atom powered netbook and I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

iamajai, Dec 2, 2010
  3. bluevolume

bluevolume

Since posting my question, I have actually picked up a 721. This is a great machine with a lot more capability, but I do miss the stellar battery life of the 532h. I can get about 3 hours of real-world usage on my 721 after some tweaking.

I had a really hard time picking the 721 over the 521, actually pondered it for about a month. I really like the smaller form factor of the 521, and the slightly better battery life, but the HD screen on the 721 is really nice. I also liked that it has 2 memory slots, and I've already upgraded mine to 4gb. I switched to a WD AV-25 320gb hard drive as well.

Overall I'm very happy with the 721. I just hope Acer waits a little while to come out with something better... :)

bluevolume, Dec 3, 2010
Ask a Question