Hauppauge WinTV Nova usb stick (Digital TV) (Linpus Linux)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sideways, Aug 24, 2008.

1. sideways

sideways

Hauppauge WinTV Nova DVB (Digital TV) USB on Aspire One Linpus Linux
    =====================================================================

[​IMG]

(That's a full XFCE desktop, but this works with the Acer one too)

This usb stick can be got for ~£20 in the UK (I paid £19.99 in a Currys sale)
    http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/product ... stick.html

open a terminal (ALT+F2, 'terminal'), type
    Code:
    sudo rpm -Uhv [url]http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm[/url]
    sudo yum install xine-lib-extras* kaffeine
    answer Y to any questions.

Now download the required firmware and place it in the /lib/firmware directory (with the correct name):
    http://www.wi-bw.tfh-wildau.de/~pboettc ... 00-1.20.fw
    Code:
    sudo mv Downloads/dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw  /lib/firmware/
    sudo mv /lib/firmware/dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw /lib/firmware/dvb-usb-dib0700-01.fw
    (you may need to rename the file to /lib/firmware/dvb-usb-dib0700-1.10.fw, check the output of dmesg when the adapter is inserted, it will tell you what the name of the firmware should be)

Then we need some kernel modules, pretty easy thanks to the tip here (why is it locked?) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=608 :)

[attachment=0:28a8htr0]dvb.tar.bz2[/attachment:28a8htr0]
    Alternative dvb.tar.bz2 download

untar the file to put the files in /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ and resolve module dependencies:
    Code:
    sudo tar xvf Downloads/dvb.tar.bz2 -C /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/media/
    sudo depmod -a
    EDIT: These modules don't support some of the newer Nova-T adapters, see page 3 of this thread for instructions on compiling v4l-dvb in this case, or see Joans post on page 4 for updated modules download/file.php?id=245

Now reboot and plug in the Hauppauge WinTV Nova usb stick, type 'dmesg' in a terminal to check it is correctly detected. (If not try manually loading the kernel modules 'sudo modprobe -a dvb-usb dvb_core dvb_usb_dib0700')

Now start Kaffeine either from the menu (if available) or type 'kaffeine' in an ALT+F2 window. Select the DVB menu item and Channels to scan for channels, then 'Select all' and '<<Add Selected". Now return to the kaffeine main window and click 'Digital TV' - enjoy :)

This adapter works better in linux than WindowsXP, the driver gives a much more stable reception in weak reception areas. I think it is a poor omission by Acer to not include the dvb drivers by default (a few k) especially since they include half a gig of language packages for example.

EDIT If audio is too quiet type 'sudo yum install system-config-soundcard', then launch system-config-souncard from a terminal and increase the volume.

sideways, Aug 24, 2008
  2. sideways

anz

Dear sideways,
    a great THANK YOU for your howto and kernel modules. I 've the same dvb-t stick and used it "only" on my gentoo-box because I was too lazy for compiling the modules ...
    ... watching television on the AA1 works - great! (Now, I will try to get win32codecs for kaffeine ...)

anz, Aug 25, 2008
  3. sideways

Joans

This is great, I've got one of these sticks, so I was looking for an easy tutorial to get it up and running on my AAO as I've never really used linux before.

I don't really understand much about kernel modules, do I need to follow that other thread to install the dvb modules into my kernel?
    At the moment I've got kaffeine running, but there's no dvb menu.
    I tried manually loading the kernel modules, but I get
    Code:
    FATAL: Error inserting dvb_usb (/lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dvb-usb.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    dmesg says:

Code:
    dvb_usb: Unknown parameter `dvb-core'
    Any pointers would be great, thanks.

Joans, Aug 28, 2008
  4. sideways

pumo

Hi!
    which version you are using from kaffeine and xine* packages ?

pumo, Aug 28, 2008
  5. sideways

Joans

Hi pumo,

kaffeine is version 0.8.6
    I have no idea about xine* sorry. How can I find out?

Joans, Aug 28, 2008
  6. sideways

pumo

actually I ment to ask from sideways, but same who answers if dvb-t works :)
    does your suspend work after installation?
    I compiled af9015 dvb-t stick drivers and it broke suspend, after I closed lid fan just blows and after opening lid nothing happens, only thing that worked was forced powerdown
    xine* I ment xine packeages what was need by kaffeine and watching dvb-t (xine-lib, xine-lib-extra-nonfree)
    rpm -qa |grep xine

pumo, Aug 28, 2008
  7. sideways

Joans

Oh, right. Problem is my DVB-T doesn't work (see my post a bit further up the page).

Code:
    xine-lib-extras-1.1.12-2.fc8
    xine-lib-extras-nonfree-1.1.12-1.lvn8
    xine-lib-1.1.12-2.fc8
    My suspend still works, but that probably doesn't help you as I haven't got my DVB-T stick working properly.

Any ideas what I need to do to get it up and running?

Edit - I've tried following the other thread to add the DVB modules to the kernel, but when I get to this stage:
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9lw
    make
    make modules
    I get loads of errors when I run the make command

Code:
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:107:23: error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
    and eventually I get:

Code:
    make: *** No rule to make target `include/config/auto.conf', needed by `include/config/kernel.release'. Stop.
    Any help please, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Do I need to compile my own kernel, or should the instructions in the first post be enough?

Joans, Aug 28, 2008
  8. sideways

pumo

here's how I did compile modules drivers to my own:
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1373#p10485

I tested, just installed exactly same packages and after boot, linpus desktop (I use default) went about 20+20 grey+black horizontal stripe, xfce right click menu doesn't work, but everything from alt+F2 (run) started program works...

edit: removing xine-lib-extras* didn't help those stripes, removing kaffeine and kaffeine-libs linpus desktop works again like it should be.
    edit2: installed xine-lib-extras* back and desktop works so it's kaffeine 0.8.6. which mess up linpus desktop, maybe better use xfce own desktop... this was easier than I thougt
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1612

pumo, Aug 28, 2008
  9. sideways

sideways

@Joans

You don't need to compile the dvb modules I attached them in the first post. Just run the tar xvf and depmod commands I posted underneath from a terminal.

If you follow the instructions line by line it should work.

sideways, Aug 28, 2008
  10. sideways

sideways

I haven't noticed any problem with suspend. My Linpus has been customized quite a bit though, so I can't confirm if it is a problem with the default linpus.

sideways, Aug 28, 2008
  11. sideways

Joans

@sideways

Thanks for that, after I eventually managed to get that working, I realised that I'd just managed to produce the module files I'd already downloaded.

I'm still having problems though. I've had to run the recovery software, so my AAO is now back at it's default config, and this is the first thing I've tried (after setting up my wireless network).

I get no error messages all the way through, but when I reboot with the tv stick inserted, dmesg doesn't say anything about any dvb hardware and kaffeine says it can't find any dvb hardware and so doesn't bring up the dvb menu.

Help.

Joans, Aug 28, 2008
  12. sideways

sideways

Post the output of 'lsmod | grep dvb' and 'lsusb'.

Try reinserting the dvb stick and post the last few lines of 'dmesg'

sideways, Aug 28, 2008
  13. sideways

Joans

lsmod | grep dvb and lsusb | grep dvb both give no output

lsusb does give this line:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2040:7070 Hauppauge
    dmesg after re-inserting the stick
    Code:
    usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
    usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    Any ideas? Thanks for helping so far.

Joans, Aug 28, 2008
  14. sideways

sideways

looks like the kernel module aren't loaded, type the following
    Code:
    sudo depmod
    sudo modprobe dvb-usb dvb_core dvb_usb_dib0700

sideways, Aug 28, 2008
  15. sideways

Joans

sudo depmod doesn't say anything

sudo modprobe dvb-usb dvb_core dvb_usb_dib0700 (was I supposed to do it as one line like that?) gives:
    Code:
    FATAL: Error inserting dvb_usb (/lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dvb-usb.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    dmesg says:
    Code:
    dvb_usb: unknown parameter `dvb_core'
    Edit:

I did 3 separate sudo modprobe lines and lsmod | grep dvb now gives:
    Code:
    dvb_usb_dib0700   7112  0
    dib7000m        10372 1 dvb_usb_dib0700
    dib7000p         9220 1 dvb_usb_dib0700
    dib3000mc         7492 1 dvb_usb_dib0700
    mt2060                2820 1 dvb_usb_dib0700
    dvb_usb              9356 1 dvb_usb_dib0700
    dvb_core            47464 1 dvb_usb

lsusb gives the same as before

dmesg now says
    Code:
    dib0700: loaded with support for 2 different device-types
    usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_dib0700
    (still the same message when re-inserting the stick.)

Oh, and I should probably say that it still doesn't work, kaffeine doesn't have the dvb menu and kaffeine -w says it can't find any dvb hardware.

Joans, Aug 28, 2008
  16. sideways

sideways

sorry, my mistake with the modprobe command you need to use 'modprobe -a' to insert multiple modules.

Ok, you have all the kernel modules now, so reinsert the dvb adapter and post the last dozen lines of dmesg, you may have a problem with the firmware file.

It should say this

Code:
    dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T Stick' in cold state, will try to load a firmware
    dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-dib0700-1.10.fw'
    dib0700: firmware started successfully.
    dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T Stick' in warm state.
    dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
    DVB: registering new adapter (Hauppauge Nova-T Stick)
    DVB: registering frontend 0 (DiBcom 7000PC)...
    MT2060: successfully identified (IF1 = 1220)
    input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-1/input/input14
    dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 150 msecs.
    dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T Stick successfully initialized and connected.
    usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_dib0700

sideways, Aug 28, 2008
  17. sideways

Joans

dmesg gives:
    Code:
    dib0700: loaded with support for 2 different device-types
    usb-core: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_dib0700
    usb1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
    usb1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    So I don't even get the first line where it says it's found a hauppauge Nova-T stick and is going to try and load a firmware?

Joans, Aug 28, 2008
  18. sideways

sideways

That's unfortunate, I really can't think what else to try.

The only difference with your adapter I notice is the Vendor:product id is 2040:7070 whereas mine is 2040:7060.

I wonder if you are unlucky to have an incompatible model? Or perhaps it uses a different kernel module.

According to http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/H ... VA-T-Stick, it uses tuner model DIB7070P, i didn't see an option for that in the kernel menuconfig. It looks like you need v4l-dvb from the sourcecode repositor. At the bottom of that page they have the dmesg ouput for a dib7070p adpater which is correctly installed in kernel 2.6.23.9, so looks like it is possible, but I am unable to test it since I don't have the adapter.

sideways, Aug 28, 2008
  19. sideways

Joans

Yeah, from what I've been reading it seems my stick is a different version to what a lot of people are using.
    I'll see if I can find anything on that site and I'll post back if I can find a solution.

Thanks again for your help.

Joans, Aug 28, 2008
  20. sideways

franzois

hi,

after dmesg what should I read to see if wintv is installed ? I found nothing... and nothing in Kaffeine. :cry:
    I've done all the procedure.

tks

franzois, Aug 28, 2008
Ask a Question