Has anyone done a rollback from Windows 10 to Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Geejayz, May 8, 2016.

1. Geejayz

Geejayz

Hi all,

I had Windows 8.1 on my rig and upgraded about two months ago to Windows 10. Since then I have had issues with my wireless connection dropping out. It is incredibly random however but when it happens I can be offline for half an hour at a time. I'm certain it is not the router as everything else connected seems to be OK - including my smartphone.

I'm considering a rollback to Windows 8 again but I'm not sure if that will cause me more problems than I currently have. Can anyone confirm if they have already successfully done this, or failing that, what I could try instead.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Geejayz, May 8, 2016
  2. Geejayz

Celia

While I have not done a rollback, your inquiry has certainly peeked my interest as my wireless connection has been doing the same thing. I never thought that it might possibly be Windows 10 causing the problem, but it is entirely possible. It has been nearly a month since your post on this topic, so now I am truly curious if you did decide to attempt a rollback, if you found another way to fix the problem or if you even fixed it at all. I would love to know the answer if you are still posting here. The problem has been driving me crazy! :eek:

Celia, Jun 2, 2016
  3. Geejayz

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Depending on the age of your Laptop(s) the Manufacturer MAY have a Windows 10 driver for your WLAN (wireless receiver card) inside your Laptop... That is the BETTER choice for your Laptop than the generic driver that Windows 10 installs...

On your Browser, go to 'Your Laptop manufacturer'.co.uk/support (that is for UK or .com for Most other countries)
    Look for a section 'Drivers' you will need the FULL mdel Number of your Laptop which is usually on the label under the Laptop...

For instance - as My current laptop is made by Acer... I go to

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

I hope this was helpful

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jun 3, 2016
  4. Geejayz

vinaya

I have never used Windows 10. However, I rolled back from windows 8 to windows 7. The reason: I had to format my computer when it crashed. During formatting Windows 8 was gone, I installed windows 7.

vinaya, Jun 3, 2016
  5. Geejayz

acheno84

I am actually interested in rolling back only because Windows 10 isn't really striking me. I had to go through and uninstall a ton of the apps that I will never use that just take up space on my computer. I use my computer for working at home and my tech support asked me if I used this computer as my gaming system due to all of the versions of Candy Crush on it.

I would LOVE to go to Windows 8 and make things easier.

acheno84, Jun 3, 2016
  6. Geejayz

Dame6089

I have just avoided switching to Windows 10 in general and have stayed with Windows 8. I can't say that Windows 8 is perfect, but it works well enough and I don't find it frustrating to use. After hearing the horror stories of people on here and in person, I can't see much of a reason to ever upgrade unless I purchase a new laptop and am forced to. I really feel like they do not do enough testing on these OS's before releasing them to the public. The number of problems is just unacceptable.

Dame6089, Jun 7, 2016
  7. Geejayz

fcuco

I can fully understand somebody wanting to roll back windows 10 to windows 7 but never to windows 8 though. Given the option I think I would rather go back to Windows XP before using Windows 8 ever again. It is my understanding that Windows 8 is internally more powerful and better designed than Windows 7 under the hood but the GUI experience is simply terrible.

If I were you I would try to troubleshoot my wireless connection problem since it is probably just a drivers issue before rolling back my entire installation but if you do, do a clean install, not a roll back, I think you can't rollback after 2 months anyway.

fcuco, Jun 7, 2016
  8. Geejayz

Vash

Windows 10 is superior to Windows 8. When people do roll back, they go back to Windows 7.
    If you still have issue with wireless connection, maybe you should check manufacturer web site for a wireless driver update.

Came from Windows 7 directly to Windows 10, I'd say the new OS indeed has some issues at first. Every update they fix some of the problems. Give it more time and it will be better.

Vash, Jun 7, 2016
  9. Geejayz

cluckeyo

We will be rolling back from 10 to 7. We are having a lot of issue with 10. Including no cd/dvd drive. We had a mess with Cortana at the beginning too. We really don't like 10. 7 is a solid system and well will just be content with that. We will be doing this pretty soon.

cluckeyo, Jun 12, 2016
  10. Geejayz

SirJoe

Till now I haven't met anyone that has done so, I do have friends that moved to linux and gave up on windows but in my case there are certain programs that I need in windows that I haven't been able to run stably on linux.

SirJoe, Jun 18, 2016
  11. Geejayz

UpgradeMe

I never let them install 10 on mine :) Just switched over to linux mint, might try a different distro later but I love mint so far. Even with windows update disabled, windows update would still try to run and eat up 70-80% of my cpu over 20 mins, have to use resource monitor to shut that off..that's when I just said no windows, no. Ya'll are assholes.

UpgradeMe, Jun 19, 2016
  12. Geejayz

SirJoe

Microsoft really botched up when they launched windows 10, I'm glad that you gave Linux a try, it's as user friendly if not more so than windows 10.

SirJoe, Jun 19, 2016
Ask a Question